Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Bliss bristled against Clint's words. It couldn't be true. He hadn't become like that. Surely, he hadn't become one of them.

"Please tell me you're messing with me," she pleaded, tears stinging behind her eyes.

"I'm not. God isn't heartless like you think. He's gotta plan," Clint tried to reason with her.

"You're defending the one who deserted me and left me to fend for myself? Of all the people around me, you were the only one I expected to understand. Now you're acting just like them!" Bliss exclaimed.

"Did it ever occur to you that He might be letting you try to figure out things on your own so you'd realize how much you need him? Because things are turning out pretty bad for you from where I sit," Clint told her.

"I can fend for myself. Why does everyone think I need help from someone? I'm getting along just fine!" Bliss clenched her hands together under the table.

Deep down inside, she knew that he was right. She was wearing thin by herself. She wasn't as independent as she thought.

"Are you?" Clint asked. "Are you really getting along just fine?"

Bliss clenched her teeth. He had no right to question her words.

She looked up at him. There was no way she could stand having him around now. There were already too many people telling her what to do.

She stood and walked to the window, not wanting to face him.

She knew what she had to do.

For her own sake.

"You need to go," she croaked out.

She didn't hear him move, she didn't hear him say anything. She forced herself to turn around and face him, blinking back the tears.

"You can collect your pay from Daddy, pack your things, and leave. Your job is done," she told him.

No emotion shone behind Clint's eyes for a moment. As a matter of fact, it looked more like he was thinking really hard about something.

"Did you hear me, Mr. Slade?" She pressed.

Clint stood from the table and looked her in the eye. "Loud and clear."

He disappeared down the hall toward his room, and Bliss came to grips with what she had done. He was leaving.

She would never see him again. He was leaving her life permanently.

She took a few steps to run after him, and then stopped herself. She didn't need Clint.

She didn't need anyone.

Walking the other way, she walked out onto the back porch and sat right where she and Clint had sat merely a week before.

This was the exact reason why he had to go. She had way too many fond memories of someone who was just going to leave anyway. She was attached to him.

No, she was far beyond attached. She had blindly fallen way father than that.

One day she was as free as a bird without a man in sight, and then she turned around and allowed herself to fall in love when she wasn't looking. This was the problem with having Clint Slade around.

Though she had justified her reason, a tear still found its way out of her eye and crept warily down her cheek.

She didn't want him to go, but he had to.

*****

Clint shoved his few belongings into his saddlebags and slung them over his shoulder.

This was what she wanted. She wanted him gone.