chapter 71

The Gryffindor common room is roaring with Muggle music and the loud chit-chat happening between students of the house adorned in red and gold.

After the latest Quidditch match's win, some older Gryffindors decided to put on a whole party to celebrate. Robert Wood managed to smuggle in Firewhiskey leaving almost all partygoers intoxicated.

I'm not so keen on the idea of being so out of your head that you can act without truly being in control, so I remain sober. Though sobriety turns out to be a lonely path as everyone seems to be having a blast – even Lily is drinking. Several drinks in and the boys are completely pissed.

Remus is up on a tabletop dancing and swaying his hips to the tune of the music. He has a good rhythm for a drunk bloke I'll give him that. It's also refreshing to see him let loose like this.

All positive thinking associated with Remus on that tabletop disappears as he loses his footing and falls flat on his face. "REMUS!" I scream out worriedly, shoving all the slobbering drunk students out of the way to help my friend. "Remus, are you okay?" He flips himself around and starts laughing hysterically. "I'll take that as a yes." I chuckle, helping him stand. "Let's sit for a little."

"But the dancing! It needs me!" He whines in a babyish voice.

"Shh," I coo. "It's okay, darling, you'll be back."

He giggles, "You call me darling."

I help him onto the couch and he lays back with a dopey smile. "Remy!" James cheers, plopping himself down beside him. He starts petting Remus' hair. "You're so pretty, Lily."

"I'm Lily?" Remus asks in confusion.

"I'm James." James enunciates back, holding a hand over his heart.

"Oh." Remus nods as if it all makes sense now.

Sirius stumbles over to me and falls into my arms. "Woah there, Sirius!" I laugh nervously trying to hold the heavy boy up. "Let's get you to the couch." I say, guiding him over to the opposite sofa where Peter rests.

"I wish I wasn't a werewolf!" Remus exclaims quite suddenly. I panic looking around the room to see if anyone's noticed his sudden outburst. Lucky for the loud music and oblivious crowd, no one seems to be paying him any mind. He goes on, "It's all the moon's fault! Bloody moon!"

Sirius nods in agreement. "We should...we should get rid of the moon!"

"Let's blow it up!" James hollers, waving his hands around wildly.

"YES! We...we'll blow up...blow up the moon!" Sirius says, stumbling over his words. Peter joins in by making explosion noises with his mouth while the other boys nod at him excitedly.

I can't hold it back anymore as I burst into uncontrollable laughter. Merlin, liquor makes people nutty.

Peter stops smiling as his face turns a slight green colour and holds a hand over his mouth. I frown in concern, "Pete?" He doesn't answer and instead leans over the couch to vomit over the back. "Oh dear." I sigh. I hurry to his side and rub his back until he stops heaving. Once he does, I clean up his mess with a wave of my wand and throw my arm around his waist to keep him standing. "It's time for bed, Petey."

"I'm sorry." His pale blue eyes start watering. "I'm so sorry."

"Hey, it's okay." I say soothingly. "Don't cry, sweetheart. It's okay, it's all clean now, see? Let's just get you to bed."

"Okay Mummy." He mumbles.

I help him upstairs through the door and pull his bedspread back for him to drop down onto. Before I go back into the party, I fill up four glasses of water and place them on each of the boy's bedside tables.