Chapter Twelve

After a few days of continuously going back to the tower, Jess found herself with Damien in the main living area. Both of them had smoothies that she had made with the blender that no one touched, hers being Oreo and his being chocolate. Tony was across the room talking to Alex and Clint, all three of them looking back at Jess and Damien every few seconds. 

"It's been how many days that I've been here and why he stares at me I'll never know," She whispers to the assassin before taking a sip of her drink. 

"Maybe, like the rest of us, he's curious as to why you look so tired every morning." Damien mumbles back. 

"Is it that obvious?" Jess inquires. "I try to hide it with makeup!"

"Must not be doing well." Damien chuckles. "I can see the circles under your eyes and I'm pretty sure they can too." 

"Do you have any foundation?" Jess whines.

"Did you seriously just ask me if I had fucking foundation?" Damien hisses. 

"Don't you have a girlfriend that comes over or something?" Jess spits. 

"No!" He shouts and quickly lowers his voice when the trio looks over in their direction. "Not in this line of work!" 

"My goodness." Jess rolls her eyes. "Does anyone here have anything?" 

"Ian might." Damien smirks.

"That is not funny." She seethes. 

"Fine, then no, I do not think anyone has makeup." He grumbles. 

"Sorry for trying to make things better." Jess huffs. "I'll be back then."

"Where are you going?" Damien inquires.

"Home, I'll fix everything," She replies while gesturing to her face. "and meet you back here in fifteen minutes." 

"Don't you think that's a little much?" He chuckles.

"When everyone is staring at you and having conversations, no I don't think so." Jess gruffs.

"Don't you have stuff in your backpack? I mean you carry clothes in there and stuff." Damien gestures to her bag that was near the breakfast bar. Jess stares at it for a few seconds before dropping her head onto the table. 

"I hate myself." She whispers.

"You can go to my floor." Damien offers, trying to hide his laughter. "Hurry back though or I'm going to drink your shake." 

LATER
MAIN FLOOR

After seven whole minutes, Jess returned to the main floor with presentable attire. Her hair was cascading down her shoulders with her natural curls showing through. Her makeup was fixed to hide the scars and bags under her eyes. Damien, who had been eating pudding, drops his spoon onto the counter. "Whoa." 

"What?" Jess furrows her eyebrows while dropping her backpack next to the counter. 

"You look freaking hot." He comments. "Seriously, like I thought you were cute before but when you actually but effort into your appearance." 

"You're an ass, you know that right?" Jess chuckles while grabbing her shake. Damien shrugs. 

"I'm a guy, it's what we do." He replies. 

"Yeah, if I'm going to join this boy band, that needs to stop." She orders. "Because I sure as hell am not putting on makeup when the world is about to burn due to aliens."

"Darn, we could've done it together." Ian sarcastically comments while slipping into the chair next to Jess. 

"I have to tell you guys something." Jess sighs while rubbing the back of her neck.

"What's up?" Damien questions. 

"You all have been great and such, but I don't think I can do this." She admits. "I asked to be transferred to England. I'm still helping out with SHIELD and all but...there's someone I'm looking for and he's not here." 

THIRD POV
LAB

"I thought you were going to tell her today." Clint sings as he and Alex walk into the lab where Bruce and Tony were looking at papers that littered one of the lab tables.

"I was but then...I didn't." Tony distractedly replies. 

"Why?" Alex demands.

"Because she went to someone's floor and didn't show up until she came back which was about five minutes ago." Bruce explains for the distracted Stark that stood across from him.

"Okay, then what are you doing?" Clint questions.

"He's looking to make sure I did a great job finding out that Jessica is actually his child." Bruce grumbles. "He still doesn't believe me."

"Oh my goodness." Alex groans. "But I overheard Jessica talking to Damien and Ian while I was in the vents and she's planning on leaving town, going quite far."

"Where?" Tony demands.

"England, she requested it so she could still work with SHIELD but far from here. Didn't hear the reason why, though, I do know that she's not planning on telling the rest of the team." Alex explains.

"So, you better tell her soon," Clint adds. 

"Son of a bitch."