17

*Please read the authors note at the end of this chapter

S E V E N T E E N

I was in a hospital... Or at least that's what I had assumed. The room was bland, white, sterile, and slightly depressing. And the air was consumed by bleach and other highly strong cleaning products. I was also hooked up to a machine. The needle resting in the fold of my arm as it rested amongst the sheet of the bed.

I was confused, my mind running a mile a minute as I tried to come to terms with where I was... Or how I got here. The only thing I could manage to remember is that one moment I was lying on the forest ground, my body paralyzed and pulsing with pain. I had lost hope of anyone finding me... Helping me. But to prove me wrong, someone did save me.

The only question was who.

"It's been an hour at least since I've last checked on her." As I lay there confused and muddled, I could distinctively hear a set of voices emerge behind the door. "You said to give you a call once she wakes up. I figured it'd be best if I just waited for you before checking on her once more." Upon saying this a woman bounded through the door, followed by a man moments after.

The woman was a doctor. From the white jacket to the clipboard that rest in her hands... It was a pretty obvious observation. As for the man, I wasn't so sure. He was a tall man built with a strong structure of muscle. With sheen dark hair, fine even olive toned skin, warm brown eyes, and crisp grey suit... He looked to be a handsome guy. The only thing I happened to find frightening about the man was the scar of a claw mark that traveled along side his eye. Starting from the base of his outer eye all the way down to his defined structured jawbone. It nearly seemed as if someone wanted to gauge his eye out.

I didn't want to come off as impolite or rude for staring. So diverting my gaze from his calculating stare, I decided to draw my eyes towards the doctor. "Where am I?" I mumbled. My voice was hoarse. My throat burning from the sensation of being dry.

"You're in our medical room." The doctors voice was calm as she pointed out the obvious. Her eyes examining the small machine by my bedside as she documented the results on her clipboard. "Cane here found you in the woods. Good timing too. You were unconscious and your skin felt like death with the slightest touch."

At the mere mention of Cane being the one to rescue me, I found my eyes slowly drifting towards the man that stood a decent feet behind the doctor. His hands were stuffed in the pockets of his slacks.

"I'm Dr. Walsh by the way. I'll be tending to you until you gain your strength back. Though it might be a while before you'll be able to leave." Smiling, Dr. Walsh slipped her hand into her pocket and pulled out a syringe. One that was full of a clear liquid of some kind. She didn't inform me of what she was doing, nor did she ask for my consent; before forcing the liquid into the tube that ran into my arm.

"What is that?" I questioned. My voice was full of concern and slight panic as my eyes drifted from the IV tube to Dr. Walsh.

"A sedative." Dropping the syringe into the trash bin, she crossed her arms over her chest. Her eyes briefly turning to Cane. "This should keep her out for a few more hours."

"Good." His voice was eerily deep. It nearly made my spine quiver. "I want you to get in contact with Bronson and Howard. Have them relocate her to the cabin." As Cane said this he slowly inched his way towards the bed. His hand lightly trailing along the side of my arm as he did. The mere touch of his finger tips brushing upon my skin, was oddly enthralling. Sensational even. It shamefully made me confused as the overwhelming sensation consumed my body. "Raphael seemed to have a fit knowing she left the lines of his property. Makes me wonder what's so special about her."