Chapter 31

😜😜

-----------------

Lauren came around, laying on the ground, to find Camila fussing over her.

"Lolo, Lolo, are you ok, fuck I'm sorry, did I hurt you?"

She struggled to her elbows, the lancing pain in her leg being replaced with a dull throb. She looked down to see a bright green blotch on her thigh, a dramatic contrast to the black material of her combats.

"I'm fine, Camz," she said without thinking, "I'm not hurt. I don't really know what came over me."

She's lying. She knows she's lying. She knows exactly what came over her. A bad fucking memory overloading her brain, and a very sensitive spot; mental and physical scars that still hadn't healed. So she's lying to her about it, but it's not something she's enjoying. She doesn't like lying to Camila, it feels wrong... all fucking wrong.

"Did I hurt you? Shit, baby, I'm so sorry, it just went off in my hands." Camila said, pulling her into a tight hug. "I nearly died when you collapsed then. I thought I'd really hurt you."

"I'm fine, babe," she said, hugging her back, running her hands up and down her spine comfortingly. "It was just a bit of a shock, that's all. Hit me in a painful place, you know; sort of physically and mentally."

Camila held her tightly for a few seconds before their moment was interrupted by a voice.

"Well, it's nice to see you two acting normally finally. Even if it did take Camila shooting you with that damn paintball gun, Lauren. It's about time you two stopped pussyfooting around each other."

Sinu, 'shit',

She had totally forgotten about Sinu in all the embarrassment. Quickly, she twisted her head around to see her smiling at them indulgently.

"You two do make a lovely couple, you know, but then I thought that the last time you were here." She said cryptically, holding out a hand and helping Lauren to her feet when Camila disentangled from her.

"Sinu, I er..."

"Oh, shush, Lauren, did you honestly think that Camila hasn't been on the phone to me almost every day since you left here?"

"No, she did mention..."

"Well then, you don't have to pretend around me. I told you the last time we spoke that you seem to make my daughter happy and that's good enough for me. Now, are you ok?"

"I'm fine, honestly, I'm absolutely fine; apart from feeling a little embarrassed at myself, and my own stupidity," she said wiping at the green blob with the end of her sleeve.

Both Sinu and Camila eyed her suspiciously as if knowing that she wasn't telling the whole truth. Sinu went to speak but Camila cut her off quickly.

"Well now, at least, you see why I don't think I should be allowed around real guns, Lo. If that had been real, I might have killed you."

She grinned at her, hoping that the pain in her leg didn't make it look like a grimace, "Yeah, remind me to teach you some range safety next time you ever pick up a weapon again, starting with the use of a safety catch and never pointing a rifle at someone unless you mean to use it."

"Like mother like daughter," Sinu said, "I seem to remember your very first words to me were something about pointing guns down range."

"Yeah. I don't know what it is about you Cabello women," she said trying to alleviate the tension that hovered over them because of the accident and her extreme reaction to it, "but you both seem intent on getting me killed."