Chapter Twenty Nine - 'My Place'

The buzz of cars racing through the small narrow race track echoed through my ears. While Brody spoke with officials, and seemingly all who ran the event, I stuck by his side, smiling only when he would introduce me, otherwise, I remained quiet.

While standing in the pits, waiting Brody's turn to race for the thousand dollar cash prize, I leaned on his Supra, watching.

"You can sit in the stands if it's all a bit much in here for you" Brody reappeared beside me

He must have been able to sense the discomfort within me.

"No, it's fine" I lied, crossing my arms over my chest "It's just strange seeing it all from this perspective"

"It can be overwhelming, but it does get better" He shrugged, sitting on the bonnet close beside me so that our sides were touching

"How much longer until you race?" I asked curiously

"A few minutes" He sighed "Which is why I should check everything is in working order"

He leaned off the car and reached his arms out for my shoulders, moving me away - any excuse to touch me. It would have normally made my skin crawl, someone I barely knew touching me, but it hadn't, not with Brody.

"Want to learn a few things about cars?" He asked, popping the hood of the car open, roaring the engine to life with the flick of his car key

I didn't really, but I didn't want to crush his excitement, so I nodded "Sure"

For the next few minutes, Brody pointed and explained various parts of what lie beneath the bonnet of his car. Each section was complex, vibrating with the rumble of the engine. Some parts, I understood, but most I did not - I basically pretended I understood, not wanting to look stupid or uninterested. What I had taken from the information, was that on the road, the car was barely legal, expensive and dangerously fast.

Soon enough, it was Brody's time to race. He was up against a car the same as his own, only a few differences along with color. Brody seemed to be a little anxious, he hadn't raced this car before and had only moments ago met the man behind the wheel. His name was David, and apparently, he was experienced and had recently moved to the area.

"Good luck" I smiled towards Brody before he slid into the car

"Thanks" He smiled back, nerves behind his expression

Once he had pulled the car into the starting line, I moved towards the spectators box beside the beginning of the track. There weren't many people there, a few relatives of drivers, girlfriends and friends, that was it. I stood at the end, guarded only by a short metal fence that would in no way protect me in the case of an emergency car accident.

While everything was prepared, I waited anxiously, staring ahead at the cars revving their engines in a macho brigade of who's was better than who's.

"I go for David" A familiar voice entered my space, causing me to jump

I turned my head to my left, and directly beside me stood Nova.

I couldn't help but smile "What the hell are you doing here?"

He shrugged casually leaning on the fence "Hanging around, you know"

And then it hit me

"Don't you dare tell me Phoenix is here" I snapped, staring at Nova with wide eyes

The corner of his mouth lifted, and I had to resist the urge to punch him in the teeth, reminding myself that he was only the messenger, not the one behind the grand scheme of things.