Chapter Two

[Content warning: Strong language]

May jumped, blood running cold at the sound of an unfamiliar voice. The strange woman was now very awake. She sat half-raised, staring wide-eyed right at May.

There was no time to think, only react. May dropped the compass on top of the pack and scrambled to her feet, snatching up the knife as she went. She brandished it in a way that she desperately hoped made it look like she knew what she was doing.

"Woah!" The stranger raised her hands and shuffled back as best she could from her place on the ground. Her eyes were a light, crystalline blue, unlike anything May had ever seen. They flicked nervously between the knife and the eyes of the woman holding it. "Holy shit, take it easy!"

May blinked. This woman didn't look like the kind of person who used such colourful language. It threw May off.

She shook her head and tried to regain her composure.

"Who are you and what are you doing on my beach?" May demanded, sounding a whole lot braver than she felt. She had no claim to this beach, it just felt like the right thing to say.

"Your beach?" The woman croaked, casting a quick glance around. The look on her face melted from incredulous disbelief to concern. "Holy fuck, what is going on..."

Again, May was surprised.

She has no idea where she is.

"Are you drunk right now? High?" May balked. To her it seemed like the only thing that could explain how a person could fall asleep for days without knowing where they were.

"What?"

"Stand up." May demanded.

"Okay, I'm standing." The woman grumbled, getting carefully to her feet. She gave May a critical once-over.

May felt panic leaden in her stomach.

Oh, no. What am I doing? Her mind reeled. If she comes at me I am so screwed. I can't fight her! What am I supposed to do?

"Listen," the stranger said, taking a cautious step forward. "I think we're both just a little freaked out right now. Can we start over? Maybe we could start by putting the knife down?"

"No!" May shrieked, unexpectedly loud enough to make them both jump. "Don't you come over here! Stay where you are!"

This was a disaster. May had just been trying to help, not take a prisoner. But she was mortified at having been caught rummaging through this woman's things and now she wasn't completely convinced that said woman hadn't just been sleeping off a bad trip. May wanted to get as far away from this person as she could before anything else went wrong.

"Okay," the woman spoke low and slowly, trying to keep her voice even. It was a dreamy sort of sound and it made May shiver. "Take whatever you want. Seriously, take it all. I don't want any trouble here. I'll leave right now."

May blinked.

"Wait, what?" She shook her head. "I don't want your stuff!"

"Then..." The stranger looked confused. "Why the hell are you going though my pack?"

"You've been asleep on this beach for three days!" May threw her hands up, making her hostage jump again. The woman's eyes stayed fixed on the knife that was being so carelessly flailed around.

May was exasperated. "I was trying to find out who you are because I thought you needed help."

The woman's face was awash with shock. "Three days? Are you sure?" Her gaze became unfocused as May nodded.