Chapter 6

I WAS TIRED WHEN I reached home after my assignment session with Ezra. As he had promised he treated me to burgers. I really couldn't believe how different of a person he was from what I had expected him to be. As they say don't judge the book by its cover.

Holy crap! He reads the Holy bible. Even my grandmother doesn't carry around the bible wherever she goes. That boy was a mystery in a leather jacket. The only mystery that I seemed to have uncovered was the fact that I enjoyed being with him. The calm aura that surrounded him felt really soothing and addictive. I don't really want to admit it but I was kind of looking forward to be with him the next day.

Slinging the bag over a wooden chair, I lounged on the sofa and my hands automatically reached for the TV remote. Soon I found myself relaxing in the comfort and with a mouthful of buttery popcorn.

"Allison. We are going out for dinner. Do you want to come?" Dad said as he temporarily paused the show on TV.

"But why? I believe there are enough ingredients to cook tonight's dinner," I asked as I was glued to the sofa by my laziness.

"Becky's been nagging me to take her for an outing. And I think I need to spent my time with my girls. So do you want to come?" Dad asked with an expectant expression on his usually blank face.

"Is Hailey going to come?" I asked hoping that she wouldn't. I channel surfed for some interesting shows until I came across a really creepy but an interesting show. It was one about a haunted house. The usual. But it didn't seem fake to me this time. Instead it perked up my interest and I found myself listening to it intently.

"No, Allison. Your mother isn't going to be there," Dad answered rather curtly. I rolled my eyes at him but soon turned my attention to the TV.

"Ghosts can make themselves visible to only a single person," The man who had introduced himself as Fritz and who was also an expert ghost investigator spoke in a sort of haunting manner which the old Allison would have found ridiculous but the newly forcefully ascended Allison was enraptured. Only to a single person.

"You have to come, Allie," Becky whined as she appeared from behind Dad. She was dolled up in her pink chiffon dress to go out and with that lovely smile on her face she looked irresistibly adorable. She was clutching onto her blonde doll.

"It's a common misbelief that ghosts are active during the night. But no they can act at any time of the day. Especially when we feel the weakest or the most scared." Fritz continued explaining.

"Yes. I am coming too." I said. I couldn't sit in the house all alone after all those terrifying things happening around. They can attack when you feel the weakest.

I came down after dressing up without even bothering to apply make up, a rather impatient Becky and a rather frustrated Scarlett were waiting for me. I smiled tentatively.

"What? It didn't even take that much time," I told them while fixing my unmanageable hair.

"Of course. It didn't," They chorused and I gave them a sheepish smile.

"Let's go, girls," Dad said as he whirred the car keys around his fore finger.

"Um, dad can Esther join us," Scarlett asked, her eyes glinting. I freaked out suddenly on realising that the girl was there in the room all along. I finally found Esther standing in the dim lit side of the room. If not for her alabaster pale skin, she would have merged in with the darkness. I watched Dad regard the girl with a calculative look.