The Second Battle of Camlann, Pt. I

The forest was quite, not a single animal or could be heard as the knights prepared for the coming battle. Thousands of horsemen sat upon their steeds as lances and swords were drawn and readied. A knight rode to the king who was at the head of the wedged formation.

“My king, any word for the Order yet?”

The king kept his gaze while answering. “No, nothing yet.”

“Do you think there will be a battle?”

“Aye, there will be, the smell is in the air. The earth is almost itself ready for the coming slaughter. The birds have the urge for the flesh. The forest demands blood for substance. Oh the universe of battle is about to make itself known to all present here today.”

“The men are ready for the command.” The knight hesitated. “My king, I served your father faithfully, and you know full well my devotion to whatever choice you make. But…I can’t help but feel that we may be making a mistake.”

The king didn’t answer.

“My lord…did I offend.”

“No, I thought I saw someone. But it was just a bird. You only speak for the welfare of our kingdom. And you are well aware of how my father nearly sent our kingdom to ruin through his deceit and treacherous guile. Though I do thank you for not mentioning that.”

“I felt it was more than known to everyone now.”

“Sadly it is. But today we will be redeemed. Today they will know our names, and know that we are true warriors. Today the men of Cornwall will no longer be ridiculed and insulted. Today we will know nothing less than pure glory and admiration of our peers. Today…today is when all things will change.”

Both men saw two knights dressed in white armor approaching them. The king spoke first. “I hope the Order is ready for combat.”

One of the white knights spoke. “That we are, all hundred chapters are present, a full fifty score men at arms and their squires and servants. This will surely be a day worthy of memory. Surely we have you to thank for allowing this to happen.”

“For what we will accomplish today, it is nothing to think further upon. When do we link up with the rest of the attack force?”

“They will attack from our right, I still cannot believe they were able to tame those steeds. Not even men such as Arthur or Launcelot could achieve such a feat.”

“The new king has friends in high places. And those men wish to see him live.”

“So it seems, let us hope that it works in their favor.”

“Aye, well then, let us not prolong the inevitable. Go to your men, we will protect your flank.”

“You must still understand Mordred has mustered over a hundred thousand men at arm, and that does not include the beast and creatures that he’s been able to draw forth?”

The king laughed. “Of course! That is why we’re here. Now go to prepare your men for the coming fight.”

The two knights left as the king turned to his horsemen and knights. “Men of Cornwall, men of the land of Gorlois, of Tristan, of Arthur. For years we have been ridiculed, insulted, have had our manhood and our worth belittled by the kingdoms of these lands. Well my knights, my soldiers of chivalry and honor, today we shatter that image. Today, we prove our worth that will never be denied in a thousand years or more. Today the sins of our fathers will be wiped clean, and we will show the world what the men of Cornwall can do. Now my men, now my brothers! Ready your spears, let you swords shine in the coming battle, and when the great wraith of death sweeps across these lands, remember these words. Show no fear!”