━ forty-three: those meddling kids!

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

THOSE MEDDLING KIDS!

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

     T'WAS THE NIGHT BEFORE school, when all through the house, chaos was rising, because "Briar, this is your fucking blouse, where's my damned shirt—"

     Briar highly regretted the decision to spend the evening at home. But, really, she should've expected it. The night of August thirty-first saw the Hogwarts students under the roof lose their shit because they've lost their shit somewhere sometime during the holidays. It was only Livvy returning the next day, but he was making enough noise for no one to forget that the eldest teenager wasn't returning.

     Instead, whilst Livvy rushed about, searching various cupboards and wardrobes for the things he had displaced since the end of his fifth year, Briar was in the living room, trying to keep out of his way. At one point, he had searched her bedroom, after declaring that his shirt was missing, and that he had one of Briar's satin blouses instead.

     (It was probably a good thing that Briar was downstairs and out of the way, flicking through a wedding magazine with bookmarks courtesy of a distressed Fleur.)

     A couple minutes after Remus went upstairs with Teddy, trying to put him to sleep, the grumbles and shouts decreased. Briar went upstairs, planning to get changed into her pyjamas and check if her brother had turned her bedroom inside out to find that goddamned shirt. He hadn't, thankfully, and the only mess was the duvet, which was entirely Briar's fault from not making her bed the day before.

     Briar returned downstairs. Livvy was in the kitchen, sitting at the table. He looked up, silent, and Briar frowned. She felt like she was watching the calm before the storm. The eye of the hurricane. Something where there's calmness amidst chaos.

      "You want a cup of tea?" Briar looked at Livvy, whom had stretched over to close the kitchen door, in case the noise of the kettle kept Teddy awake. Her heart hurt. The skin on her back itched. The idea of drinking tea felt wonderful. "I promise I won't use it to predict your future."

     "I like my tea without the predictions," Livvy remarked. Briar nodded, lips pursing. She leant against the kitchen counter. The radio on top of the fridge was still on, quieter than usual. If it wasn't for Laurel, whom was always the last to retire upstairs every night, it would probably play throughout the night. "But, um, Bri..." He looked at her, a frown on his face. Briar looked at him. "What was school like? Before I got there?"

     Briar crossed her arms. "Well, it was fine, because, you know, I had Fred and George from the start, and Laurel was working there already," she said. She smiled. "And then, at school, Fred, George, and I befriended Lee, and I later became friends with Cedric... But, anyway, it was fine. It's always weird, because I was used to being with you and Remus all the time, and Laurel was out often, but only during term time. Why? Are you getting worried about me not being there?"