23.8 / twenty-six days before

"Thea, stop."

"But why?" I whined, staggering on my feet. Was the room spinning? "Why can't I touch your face?"

"You're drunk," Nico said, grabbing my wrist. "I can't believe you're the touchy type."

I laughed and let myself be dragged to the kitchen. Nico stopped in front of the counter, bent down and picked me up with ease to hoist me up on the stool. "Stay there."

I gasped loudly. "You're so strong."

Nico snorted and turned away. "Who knew alcohol would give you some guts?"

I hopped down from the stool but the room was still spinning. My hands reached out to grab something but an arm encircled my waist before I came in contact with the ground. My fingers tightened themselves against Nico's shoulders as he steadied me. "Thank you," I said with a grin, patting his chest lightly.

"I told you to stay where you are. You can't stand," he stated gruffly, holding me upright by the waist. "Stop pushing me, Thea, I mean it."

I stopped struggling against his hold and pushed myself up on my tiptoes. "Your eyes are so...bright," I murmured, leaning closer to Nico's face. He inhaled sharply as he watched me curiously. "Did anyone ever tell you they're gorgeous? I love them. I love your eyes."

Nico stood frozen in place for a few seconds before picking me up again and placing me back on the chair. "Stay here. I need to get you some water before I bring you to bed."

"To bed?" I hugged myself tightly as my eyes widened. "What are you going to do to me?"

"N-nothing!" Nico hissed, looking back at me with a scowl. "What the hell? I'm not going to do anything to you while you're drunk, Jesus Christ. Don't ever fucking insinuate that again."

I cocked my head to the side. "What about when I'm not drunk?"

The green-eyed boy set the glass on the counter with a loud clank. "Thea, stop. Seriously. It isn't funny."

I looked down and fiddled with my fingers. "But I wasn't trying to be funny."

"Stop," he snapped. I shut up. He poured water on the glass and walked over, his features drawn together angrily as he handed it to me. "Drink."

I took the glass and drank the water quietly.

When Nico placed it back on the sink, I whispered, "Don't be mad. You scare me when you are."

"I'm not—I'm not fucking mad."

"You smiled at me three times tonight. I even got a laugh. You've been nice to me the whole evening. I don't care if it's pity, but I don't want it to be tomorrow. I don't want tonight to end. I want more of your smiles."

"I'm taking you to your room," he said abruptly, taking me by the arm. "Can you walk?"

"Yeah," I breathed, feeling my chest constrict with his cold attitude. I stood unsteadily on my feet. Nico kept his hand on the small of my back. "Yeah. I can."

I stumbled on the way to the staircase. "Fuck it," he said under his breath. "Wrap your arms around my neck. I'll carry you."

"No, you don't need—"

"You really want to pick a fight with me right now? I'm pissed off, Thea. Wrap them."

I huffed and did as instructed. "You like carrying me like a child, don't you?"

"Only when you're acting like one," he answered in a hoarse voice, taking the steps two at a time.

"You're so mean."

"I'm not mean."

"You are to me. What did I say?"

"I can't fucking stand it when you flirt back at me, okay? Shut up."

We reached the familiar hallway. Nico set me back on the ground. "Yours is the room across from mine. You can take a shower if you want and freshen up. I'll bring you some of my clothes and a towel."

"Thank you."

Nico cleared his throat. "Your stuff is also in there."

I blinked. "What?"

"Faust was here when you were asleep. Before we had pizza."

"Oh."

He rubbed the nape of his neck. "I took your stuff and your shopping bag. Then I told him to leave."

"Did he?"

"Not without a proper punch in the face."

An involuntary gasp left my lips. "Y-you hurt him?"

His eyes narrowed, but his expression didn't give anything away. "He hurt you more."

There was nothing left to say.

"Do you need help inside?" he asked. "You might slip in the bathroom or something."

"N-no," I mumbled, shaking my head. "I'm fine, thank you."

I closed the door. Whatever the reason was for my heart to beat three times faster than normal, I was blaming it on the alcohol.