Chapter 42: Different

The x-rays didn't take long. Piplup and I waited right outside the room to avoid the radioactivity. When we were allowed back in, the doctor was putting the x-rays on a board for us to look at. 

"You're lucky, it's a clean break. Hardly any damage done otherwise." The doctor pointed to the bones. My brain was on overload and didn't really take in much. Dawn wasn't paying attention, either, still looking frightened. 

Irritated, I asked what mattered most, "So are you going to put a cast on her? How long until she gets it removed?" 

"Oh, I don't think she needs a cast. Just a splint," the doctor said more cheerfully. "I'd say if she wore that for about a month and then did special exercises after removing the splint for another two weeks she'd be good as new. She'll be back to normal in no time." 

Hm. That didn't seem too bad. But still, it wasn't my wrist. And it was my fault. 

"Can you get the splint on her now?" I asked urgently. The sooner she got better, the better I'd feel. 

"Sure." The doctor was halfway out the room when he called, "Any specific color?" 

"Pink," I called back. Dawn's head jolted up to meet my eyes. And then, suddenly, she smiled. A brilliant, warm smile that I didn't feel like I had the right to receive.  

"You chose my favorite color," Dawn said, still smiling, when Doctor Rosin's footsteps faded away. 

"It's for your wrist, not mine. Would you choose any other color?" I asked. 

"Maybe blue... to match my eyes." Her smile widened. 

"Ah. I should have known that. Want me to go tell him to get a blue splint instead?" 

"Nah. I'll survive with pink. I'm pretty sure it's the new black, anyway." She leaned back casually in her wheelchair. 

So now she was being playful at a hospital, which she hated being at. I looked at her curiously. "Are you sure there's nothing more wrong with you than a broken wrist?" 

"It's just..." she broke off, looking confused. "I've never felt like laughing in a hospital before. And you knowing which color I'd want for my splint without asking. It's just really comforting. Thanks, Paul." 

I looked at the floor, feeling more guilt wash over me. "Don't thank me. I'm the one who broke your wrist in the first place. If I hadn't run off without you, this wouldn't have happened and we wouldn't be dealing with Doctor Bozo." 

"Well, you're right. It is your fault." She paused. "I've never actually had anything broken anything before. Not even a toe." 

Or your heart? I almost asked, not understanding how a question like that could even pop into my head at a time like this, much less any other time. I shook my head as if to clear it. "Still, Dawn. I shouldn't have run off like that. I'm sorry. It won't happen again." 

Her blue eyes found mine, measuring my sincerity. "Good. You're going to be waiting on me hand a foot for the next month now that I have your word that you won't run away." 

I frowned and she started laughing, but cut off abruptly with a sharp intake of break, staring painfully at her bad wrist. Worried, I put a hand on her leg before pulling away, not wanting to touch her without permission. Still, my fingertips felt extremely warm where I'd touched her skin, which had been smooth as silk. 

"It hurts to laugh," Dawn said with disappointment. 

"That's ok. I'm not very funny. You won't have to worry about that for the next month."