The Innocence Of A Child

"Mama, why does she look lonely?"

Lucy stiffened.

'Who the f*ck let a child into a bar?! Moreover, a bar that has a secret organization under it?!'

Lucy heard little foot steps become louder and louder as they got close to her.

"Asuka, no!"

Lucy heard a woman's voice followed by loud and speedy footsteps. But the child was already clinging onto Lucy's leg.

Lucy looked down at her. She couldn't have been older than 5 years old.

"Hey lady! Why do you look sad?"

When the woman with the green hair had reached them, she pulled the child off of Lucy an held her close to her chest, as if protecting her from some kind of danger.

"Mama! Let me go!" The child squirmed and kicked until she managed to free herself from her mothers arms.

She grabbed onto Lucy's leg yet again. "Now tell me lady; why do you look sad?"

Lucy picked up the child and placed her one her lap, watching the woman cautiously. She noticed the fear in her eyes as she stiffened.

"I wouldn't hurt a child, you know."

Lucy directed her attention back to the girl.

"I'm not sad. Or lonely, for that matter. It's just that I'm new here and I don't know many people."

The girl seemed to think for a little then she spoke again.

"Mama always told me to make the lonely people my friends!"

Lucy raised an eyebrow and an amused grin. "Did she now?"

"Yup," the child said, popping the 'P'. "My name is Asuka! It's a pleasure to meet you! Do you think that we can be friends?"

Lucy looked up at the woman as she looked at Lucy cautiously.

"I'm Lucy. And it's a pleasure to meet you, Asuka! I'd love to be your friend." Lucy leaned in and spoke in a low voice. "But I've done some pretty bad things and I don't think your mom would want you hanging around me."

Even though she spoke softly, almost everybody heard her, for the bar was dead quiet, everybody watching the scene intently.

"I am my own person! Mama can't tell me who I can't play with! And I wanna play with you!"

Lucy smiled. Not a fake, sinister, cynical or even a manic one. But a real, genuine smile.

"Well, that's great, 'cause I wanna play with you too."

Asuka beamed. "I'll go get my toys!" And with that, the child ran off to God-knows-where to retrieve God-knows-what.

Suddenly, Lucy felt herself being pushed up against the wall.

"You hurt a single hair on my daughters head and I will end your life."

Lucy's face was serious. "Don't worry. I hurt your daughter, and I'll kill myself." Lucy pushed her off of her and dusted herself off.

"I have limits. I would never hurt a child. If rather die." Lucy's gaze never wavered from hers.

Lucy's serious face was suddenly replaced by a mischievous grin and she lifted her arms behind her head.

"But seriously? What kind of mother brings their child into a bar? An undercover bar at that."

"Why, you little-" the woman said, about to strike Lucy.

"Lucy! I'm back! And I have my toys!"

The woman stopped dead on her tracks and backed away from Lucy, who was still smiling.

"That's great! Now we can play! Why don't you start over at that table and I'll join you in a little?" Lucy said, her eyes never leaving the woman's.

"Okay!"

The woman looked at the retreating back of her child and then back at Lucy.

"And not that it's any of your business, but we couldn't find a babysitter. I just didn't want to be judged by the likes of you."

Lucy nodded, fake understanding plastered on her face. "I guess, if that's what you wanna go with. But I still don't know your name."

"Bisca."

"Great. See ya around, Bisca."

And with that being said, under the watchful eye of every agent there, Lucy headed off with her new friend.

Everyone else thought that maybe -just maybe- Lucy isn't as bad as everyone thought.