Chapter Nine

----------------

Dedication: Efferlast for the amazing cover! Thank you!

Recap:

"That's rough. When did you see her last?"

"Last night, actually," I sighed. "We didn't really talk."

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "It's okay, Grace. You have me now. And I'm not going to leave."

I felt my eyes turn wet again. "Thanks Harvey."

"No problem."

I drew closer to him and sighed.

Maybe this night wasn't so horrible, after all.

-----------------

My hand slaps the cool tiles and a rush of exhilaration floods through me.

Emerging, a smile of triumph stretched across my face, I grin up at Coach who is mirroring my gleaming grin back to me.

Although I feel and probably look like a drowned rat, I know I just broke my own record. I could feel it in my veins.

"Am I good, or am I good?" I smirk, hoisting myself up so I'm propped on my elbows.

"Excellent," he comments with an impressed nod. "Keep that up and you are going to smash the try outs."

"That's what I want to hear!"

"Come on, let's go do some cool down exercises. Don't want to overwork you, with try outs this Thursday."

I dive underneath the lane dividers and paddle towards the steps.

Glancing to him, I notice Ashton watching me quietly.

"What's first?" I ask, choosing not to think about his eyes and where they're focusing.

"Stretch your arms."

Stretching one arm out in front of me, I hooked my other underneath and pull it towards me. I repeat the movement on the other arm. I follow him as he does a few side stretches and lunges. 

After touching my toes, I straighten and let out a slight gasp at Ashton's proximity. His eyes are trained on my lips. 

Reaching out, he brushes a loose tendril of hair off my face. His long, slender fingers brush my skin. His hand cups my cheek and I move my head into his hand, seeking his warmth.

"Think I'm good enough to get on the team?" I whisper, biting my lip softly as I stare into his dark eyes.

"There's no doubt in my mind," he murmurs. "You're incredible."

***

Ever since my dream-like moment with the Coach, I have been soaring on Cloud Nine ever since.

With my chin planted in my palm, I gaze trance-like at the board.

"Hey," Harvey says, leaning over and lightly flicking me on the nose. "Anybody home?"

"Huh?"

"Class is over, loser," he snickers, slamming his textbook shut.

Blinking, I stare around, noticing everyone is packing up.

"What's got you off with the fairies?" he asks, slinging his bag over his shoulder.

Golden locks, deep brown eyes and a chiseled jaw materialised in my mind. I'm embarrassed to admit a goofy grin spread across my face.