Chapter 47 || Year 7

Draco's POV-

It was quiet, that was the first thing I noticed when I had come back to my senses. I slowly opened my eyes, but was met with a searing pain in the back of my head. I groaned as I slowly sat up, looking around, expecting to be in that drawing room with piles of dead bodies, but instead found that I was in my dark room. 

I slowly slipped out of my bed; bones aching and throat dry, and with a strong headache that was making it almost impossible to complete any action. I rubbed my hands over my face before standing up, only finding that my legs were too weak to hold up the pressure of my body, therefore making me collapse to the ground. I stood up for a second time, grabbing ahold of my bed until I decided my legs were able to hold the weight, and I made a move for my door, but stopped mid-step as the entry flew open, revealing my mother.

"Draco!" She called, rushing over to me and pushing me back onto the bed, noticeably worried.

"Mother, I'm fine," I reassured, flinching in pain as she touched the back of my head.

"Merlin, I should've been here when you woke up! Did you fall?" She asked, worry etching her sharp features.

"Well, yes, but no damage was done," I told her, raising an eyebrow as to why she was so worried, but then it occurred to me that I could've been unconscious for longer than a few hours, "How long was I out for?"

Mother looked at me with a guilty expression, almost as if she didn't want to reveal the truth.

"A week and two days," She whispered, causing me to widen my eyes slightly in surprise.

"How-"

"After you fainted, they all got out by the time the Dark Lord came, so we were all tortured for failing, including you in your unconscious state," She explained sadly.

"That bastard," I muttered, but then realisation hit me, "Hermione-"

"Is safe and alive, and her friends will take good care of her," My mother cut in, looking at me softly.

I just stared at her, my face emotionless as I tried to process what she was telling me. So Hermione got out with Potter and Weasel, alive, whilst the rest of us had the same curse that was on Hermione placed on us for letting them all out.

"Why didn't you let me save her," I asked in a voice that came out as a whisper.

Mother sighed and gave me a small smile, but you could begin to see her eyes glistening with tears, even in the darkness of my room.

"Because I've already lost Lucius, and I can't loose you too."

I didn't know what came over me, but I pulled my mother into my arms and held her there whilst she cried into my chest; my heart truly breaking at the sight of the person who has always been by my side since my birth.

"I'm sorry," I whispered in her ear, "But I love her, I really do. And to even bear the thought of her being killed, especially in my own house, it ruined me, and made me start to think irrationally. And this is the truth."

"I always suspected you had feelings for her, but why didn't you tell me sooner?" She asked softly.

I pulled back to face and look at my mother seriously, letting all my emotions cross my face as I took in a deep breath, smiling slightly and sadly, my expression most likely matching hers.

"Because I was as scared of loosing you as I was of loosing her."