XII

Gideon | Carys | Jenna

Carys stared at the glowing screen of her phone, her ringtone blaring from the speakers. She could hear her mother downstairs telling her to "cut the music. It's getting old".

And it was, but Carys never had the effort to change it. She hummed along to the song, almost forgetting that there was someone else on the line.

Her crush.

Three years of hoping that he would look at her once and he finally noticed her, though, not the way she would have wanted. There was something off putting about her crush requesting help getting together with another girl.

Carys sighed. It would have been the only way to get him to notice her anyway. She blended into the shadows while Gideon's good looks bought him everything with a charming smile.

She looked back down at her phone, slowly sliding her finger across the glossy iPhone screen.

"Hello?"

"Finally! What took you so long?"

"Would it be sufficient enough to say that I was humming along to my ringtone?"

"Depends on what it was."

"Closer by The Chainsmokers."

"But that song has been around for almost three-- crap. Sorry I wasn't talking to you, Jenna. Come in, come in. You look very nice today. Have I ever told you how beautiful your hair was?"

Carys laughed and shook her head. People like Gideon never changed, no matter how hard you tried. She had made peace with the fact that Gideon would never like her the way she did with him, but she needed time, and that was the thing Gideon was depriving her of.

"Hey, voice in my ear. You still there?"

"U-um, yeah. What's happening?"

"Well, I told her I would make her some tea so I'm in the kitchen alone but I think we ran out of tea. My mum drinks it by the bucketload."

"Oh. Then just tell her you ran out and give her some water or coffee."

"But she said, and I quote, 'I'm so glad you aren't one of those caffeine addicted people. You have no idea how many people jump straight to coffee as a beverage', but the thing is, I love coffee. What do I do?"

"Well. That's a problem."

"No shit, Sherlock. Help me."

"Tell it to her straight. Everyone likes honest people, even though you might be disappointing or hurting them. If she doesn't like you the way you are, then you shouldn't really... you know."

"Cupid knows best, right?"

"Right. Now go out there, dog. I believe in you."

"That would have been motivational if you didn't call me dog."

"GO GO GO before she wonders if you're just blowing her off."

"Okay okay. I'm going, jeez."

Carys sighed and flopped down on her bed. She heard Gideon's familiar low voice stutter out something. She didn't have the heart to listen carefully. A girl's light laughter caused Carys' eyes to flutter shut. She wondered what Jenna was wearing. If she was dressed in a $10 shirt saying Follow your dreams, as if it was an easy thing.

"She laughed it off. I'm not sure if that's a good thing."

Carys hummed an answer.

"Hey. Are you okay?"

"Hmm? Oh yeah. Sorry. I was just thinking of something else."

"Cool. Anyway, which do you think is the better movie to watch? The Notebook or Captain America?"

"Is that even a question? Captain America. But then again, that would be my taste. You should ask your date. I'm not the one watching it with you."

"Oh. Okay. Well just stay on the line and make sure I don't mess this up, yeah?"

"Sure. What else am I here for?"

She hated Gideon for not understanding the meaning behind her reluctance to help him with Jenna, but she hated herself more for holding onto the smallest hope that maybe, just maybe, Gideon would choose her over Jenna some day.

"Here's your cup of warm water," Gideon paused. "I'm feel like watching Captain America. Is that okay with you?"

Carys almost slammed her head on her pillow. That was not what she meant when she said to ask Jenna about what she wanted to watch. Gideon was still a long way from becoming the perfect gentleman.

"Yeah. I guess. If it's okay with you then it's okay with me."

"Great."

Shuffling sounds reached Carys' waiting ears followed by a loud crash. If Gideon needed help with operating a DVD player, he should have asked his father.

"Cupid? I think... I broke something."

"You think? What do you think you broke?"

"... my DVD player?"

"Are you freaking serious? You're an idiot."

"I know! I'm a failure to mankind."

"No you're--"

"No you're not. You're just... very clumsy. We can just do something different then. Do you have a park nearby?"

Right. Gideon had Jenna to comfort him now. He didn't really need Carys to tell him that he was great the way he was.

"Hey, Gideon? I think you don't need my help anymore. It seems like you have this all under control. Good luck on your date. Bye!"

"No! Wait--"

Line disconnected.

• • • •