Chapter 30

My eyes flash open by the sound of a familiar voice. The Watchman is here but I can't make him out as I scan the area, trying to focus past the dim light surrounding me. It's impossible to see beyond a few feet and when I try to pull myself up, it hurts like hell. Even taking a full breath is excruciating.

Did I black out?

My vision is fuzzy and I'm lying flat on the floor wrapped in what feels like thick wool. It's tight around my body but I try once again to pull up. The pain keeps me from going any further and I have to catch my breath to stop from crying out.

Holy shit, am I dying?

Suddenly, everything comes rushing back. 

Zack kept me from slamming through the car windshield. At the time, I felt no pain--but that has to be it.

"We have to send her back, Master." the Watchman says. "If she is captured, they will kill her!" he stops, as if just realizing his words are echoing. "I cannot bear that." he whispers.

Wait...did he just call my brother, "master?"

Carefully shifting slightly to the right, I manage to catch a glimpse of firelight in my peripheral and turn my head to see a flickering torch anchored on the wall.

I'm back in the cave. 

"No--we have to tell her, Dominic." Zack whispers back. His tone sounding almost defeated.

"You can make her forget!" the Watchman clips back. 

I can see them now. Zack's back is to me and all I can make out of the Watchman is the side of his face. I don't want either of them to know I'm awake so I stay quiet, hoping they'll continue talking.

"It's too late for that, she's hurt." Zack replies, turning his head toward me. "You know I can't do both." 

I quickly shut my eyes, trying to stay as still as possible. Even though my chest hurts like a mother.

"You realize she is bleeding internally." the Watchman whispers. 

"Yes." Zack's head drops down. "How many crystals are left?" 

"Eight." 

"Take care of her. And do it quickly."

Without saying a word, The Watchman rises to his feet and walks in my direction. Keeping my eyes shut, I try to stay calm, sneaking peeks through the slits of my lids as he approaches. He stops only inches away from me and I can smell his earthy, masculine skin. 

"Don't move her." Zack calls to him but he doesn't reply. 

Out of no where, a bright light begins to illuminate through my lids while warm hands gently press down on either side of my shoulders. Instantly, an intense, thermal sensation envelops my body--like how the heat of the sun hits you when you walk out of an over-chilled room. The sensation is incredible. It only lasts a few seconds as little pulses of what feels like small electric shocks prickle their way in circles all over my ribcage. I have to fight to stay still, but at least it's no longer painful to breathe. 

"It is done, Master." 

"Excellent. Bring her to me..."