Chapter 17 - Vandalism

Before December 31st

CLEO

I get home on Thursday after school. I had forgotten my phone before I left in the morning, so I check it as soon as I get to my room. There are three messages from Garth.

Garth: Hey Cleo. Wanna go for coffee at the Dutch Pancake café?

Garth: I can cycle to your house and we can go together.

Garth: Do you have a bike?

I saw Garth at lunch break but otherwise I haven't seen him today. He must have sent those messages right after school.
I stifle a sigh. I thought I would be, but I'm not up to this. I have homework. And not only that, but I'll start thinking about Aiden or Daniel while I'm with Garth and I won't be able to concentrate on him.

I don't like letting him down, but it's probably for the best for both of us. I punch in my reply.

Me: Aw...I can't today...maybe during the weekend?

I send it and put my cell on the bedside table.

Daniel has ignored me since Monday. He must be mad at me. And Aiden...well, Aiden and I haven't arranged when we're going to get together to discuss the bible and all that's in it, but I'm excited for that. I get a goofy smile on my face whenever I think about it.

Lord, please may I be able to open Aiden's eyes with Your help. I know You want him to know You. So do I.
And Daniel...

I really don't know how to fix things between Daniel and I. At the moment there's a lot I don't know. Somehow having Daniel suddenly reenter my life has changed the vibe between Aiden and I, in what way I'm not sure yet. I know that when I saw Aiden on Saturday, the butterflies that had swooped through my stomach before didn't happen. And I know they hate each other. I feel bad that it's mainly my fault.

I've kind of made a mess of things.

Well, Lord, please just talk to Daniel. Touch his heart in the way only You can.

Flopping onto my bed, I exhale heavily. I startle at the sound of my phone receiving a message. It's probably Garth. I roll onto my back and pick it up.

Daniel: Meet me at the Cactus Café in half an hour.

What. Daniel is messaging me?

When we were kids we used to meet up at the Cactus Café the whole time, especially during the holidays. It was our favourite hangout spot...and he remembers.
I know it would be unfair and dishonest to say yes to Daniel now when I turned Garth down with excuses, so I decide that I have to say no.
My heart sinks. I would have loved to catch up with him.

Wait, what? I scold myself mentally. Don't be disappointed. He was bossy and arrogant to assume he can just tell me when and where to meet him. And he was the one to completely end our friendship, a year ago. Should he really be allowed to pick up where he left off? Also there's the fact that the other day he was yelling at me abusively.

You're so sappy, I tell myself. He doesn't have any good intentions and he doesn't like you anymore, so get over it.

I want to reply with a mean message and act like I don't care at all, like I don't miss us and all we used to be when we were still friends. But as much as I'd like to act out, the truth is that I have forgiven him and I want to make things right between us. Not too long ago, I was holding a lot of bitterness in my heart towards him, and God convicted me of that, so I let it go. I forgave. I've been praying for him ever since. And I tried to ask Daniel to forgive me for the way I handled things and the decisions I made that may have hurt him.
He must know that I tried, although he never answered my messages or calls.