Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I turned the key inside the lock and heard it click open. I pushed the front door open and stepped inside the house. My footsteps echoed on the hardwood floor as I walked towards the kitchen.

"Hello?" I called, guessing no one would be home right now. I walked into the kitchen and set my bag on the counter. I jumped when I heard footsteps from behind me. Nervously I turned knowing the footsteps were too heavy to be either my mom or Josh. A figure came from around the corner and my knees almost buckled from beneath me.

"Avery?" A deep voice said.

"Dad?" I whispered, beginning to cry. We stared at each other for a few seconds, then I ran to him. "Dad!"

He opened his arms wide, then pulled me into a huge hug. His camouflage army uniform was rough against my bruises, but I didn't care. My dad was home. Finally. He kissed the top of my head and I pulled back to get a good look at him. His dark brown hair had been shaved down to a buzz, and he looked as buff as ever.

"Hello Avery," he said, smiling through his tears.

"I missed you so much," I said, not even bothering to try and stop crying. I hugged him again and he patted my back.

"I missed you, too, kiddo," he said. I guided him to the kitchen table and sat down with him. Honestly, I didn't know what to say to him. It'd had been four months since the last time I've seen him. Thankfully, he broke the ice. "You look great. You lost a lot of weight."

I nodded. "Yeah, I had a major breakthrough this summer." I paused as a thought occurred to me. "Does mom know you're home?"

He shook his head. "No, she doesn't. I was hoping to surprise all of you guys at the same time, but you're home early. Come to think of it, why are you home early?"

"I, uh," I paused. I couldn't tell him the truth. Telling him that I had just made out with my teacher probably wasn't the best idea. "I had a bad day so I came home early."

His hand reached across the table and examined my face. "How'd you get those, kid? Beat someone up?"

"Not exactly," I said, laughing nervously. "But the person who did this is probably facing some serious charges in court right now."

His face was mixed with concern and curiosity. "And what kind of charges would those be?"

"Um," I said, desperately not wanting this to be the first news he hears when he gets home for the first time in four months. But he would know if I was lying, so why keep it from him? I took a deep breath and finally said, "Attempted rape."

He opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off. "But I'm fine, just a few bruises. He didn't get away unscarred, that's for sure," I said, trying to reassure him. He closed his mouth and got up from the table. I looked up at him as he stood beside me. He put his hand on my shoulder and gave me what looked like a forced smile.

"I'm proud that you stood up for yourself, kid," he said. I shrugged and he walked back into the kitchen. Reluctantly, I followed him. "So, what else is new?"

"I have a boyfriend," I offered, hoping it would take his mind off of what I had just told him. He opened the fridge and peered inside of it, then finally chose an apple and closed it again.

"Really?" He took a huge bite of the bright green apple and looked at me. "Who is it?"

"You remember Hunter, right? I've known him since middle school."

He squinted his eyes like he was trying to remember him. "Blonde hair? Fit body? Plays baseball?"

I nodded. "That's him."