Chapter Twenty Seven~*

1~ Jamie

I tiptoe as quietly as I can to the room. The sound of snoring can be heard, which is surprising. The doors is also wide open, which comes as another surprise. I creep to the door and look inside. There are two lumps on the bed. The sight causes my throat to close up. I begin to back away, not wanting to bother Jeff and whoever the person in his bed is.

"Jamie?" A sleepy voice whispers.

My heart stops for a second until I recognize the voice. "Ben," I breathe out a sigh of relief. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, Jeff looked pretty lonely so I decided I'd stay the night." I stay quiet. "Do you know how late it is?"

"Heh," I scratch the back of my head. "We lost track of time." I step out. "I'll just go find somewhere else to sleep." I turn to go but stop when Ben appears right in front of me.

"No, go ahead. I have business to do anyways." He leaves and heads upstairs. "Have a good night, Jamie."

"You too, Ben." I go inside and let the door click shut behind me.

The room is completely dark and I make my way to the bed by memory. On the other side I can just make out Jeff's form so I climb in and lay down right beside him.

"Good night, Jeff." I whisper as my eyes close and allow myself to fall asleep.

1~ Jeff

I take the rag off and look over at her. She looks so peaceful when she's sleeping. My hand raises and goes to her cheek but I stop myself from touching her. It was one thing to touch her cheek when she's sick and another to touch her just to. I let my hand hover over her, imagining the feel of her skin under my fingertips. She turns, moving closer to me, and I let my hand drop back down to my side.

As I stare at her, a feeling rises up in my chest. It makes me want to wrap her in my arms and hold her close to me. My hands start trembling as the feeling gets stronger and it takes more of my willpower to keep from touching her. I raise my hand and let it fall gently onto her face. She starts to move and I quickly turn away from her.

"Jeff?" She whispers tiredly. I ignore her and keep facing the wall. But, this doesn't convince her to leave me alone. She keeps on poking me until I give in.

"Yeah?" Sleep has added a slight rasp to my voice, making it seem more believable that I did just wake up.

"Did you touch me just now?" I turn to her and notice her face has scrunched up.

"No." The lie catches in my throat. "It was probably Ben or Slender. Go back to bed." I turn away from her and face the wall, my heart thumping so loudly I'm sure she can hear it.

2~ Jamie

I stare silently at Jeff's back. Jeff has just lied right to my face. I'm tempted to grab him by his shoulders, turn him around and force the real answer out of him. I'm about to do exactly that when he turns back around. I shrink back into the sheets as his eyes stare intensely into mine. I suppress a shudder and stare right back at him.

"Jamie..." He whispers quietly and his hand goes to my cheek.

My eyes widen as he brings himself closer to me. "Jeff, I -"

"Jeff, stop trying to make out with Jamie." My blood begins to boil at the sound of her voice. "Remember, she's mine."

I flick my eyes to Jeff upon hearing this. His teeth are clenched and his eyes are avoiding my own.

2~ Jeff

I stare at Rayne's silhouette, which is all I can make out in the gloom of my room. Anger slices its way through me; anger at myself for forgetting the deal between me and Rayne. I can feel Jamie's eyes on me and she roughly knocks my hand off her cheek. I sit up and get off the bed. Rayne stays in the door frame and watches as I get closer.

"Let's talk about this outside, okay." I'm already pushing her out the door when Jamie's angry voice stops me in my tracks.

"No. You two are going to 'talk about this' right here in front of me." She stands up and crosses to us. "Come on, Jeff, let's hear it." She growls when I stay quiet.

"I seriously think that Rayne and myself should talk this out by ourselves." I begin to push Rayne out the door again.

"Oh, stop being a little girl, Jeff." Rayne grabs my arm and starts to drag me back into the bedroom. "You want to know? Then let me explain everything to you, darling." She gives Jamie a wicked smile and turns on the lights. "Look, darling, Jeff sort of used you."

I see Jamie's mouth turn into a vicious scowl. "Explain a bit more."

"Okay, darling." She steps closer to Jamie. "Our little Jeffy here decided that in exchange for me letting him hide out in my room from Darcy that he would sell you away to Dr. Smiley. Now, let's go."

She grabs Jamie's arm and gives a vicious tug to it. I reach out to stop her but my help is unneeded.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Jamie growls. She's staring at Rayne with even more anger in glare than what she had given me earlier. "I don't give a flying duck if I was promised to you. I'm staying here." Jamie's hand goes to Rayne's wrist and she squeezes. A loud crack sounds and Rayne pull back with a scream. "Now get the fuck out."

Rayne glares at her before running off. I stare in amazement at Rayne's retreating figure.

A creepy laugh leaves her throat. "That felt amazing." She still sounds extremely angry but I can hear it becoming softer.

"I bet it did." I step to her and place a hand on her shoulder. She grins weakly at me and my stomach flutters in a strange way. I kneel over. "Ugh, I think I'm going to throw up. My stomach feels funny."

Jamie steps away from me. "Well, the bathroom is that way." She turns and heads to the bed.

The feeling goes away as she goes away. I straighten myself and watch her. She sits carefully on the bed and lays in between the sheets. I can't help but realize just how right it looks for her to be right there between my sheets and in my bed. The feeling comes back and I rush to the restroom. I lean against the toilet bowl but I don't feel anything come up. From under the door, I can see the lights flick off and hear Jaime settle into the bed. I stay on the floor of the bathroom for about an hour before I leave and climb into bed beside Jaime.

"Good night, Jamie." I whisper.

"Good night, Jeff." She whispers back.

I turn away from her and a smile other than the one permanently on my cheeks crosses my lips.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Question: Who here wants a JeffxJamie kiss already?