Chapter Fourteen

JOSH'S POV

The sound of sirens reached my ear. With my advanced sight, I saw blue and red lights in the distance. They were headed towards Evie's house.

I took off immediately. My paws digging into the forest floor with every frantic step. Why did I have to be so far away?

I dodged past trees at an incredible speed. I ran through bushes, scattering their leaves. Any animal that happened to be near me had probably taken off. I couldn't care about how much noise or attention I was making as I ran to Evie's house.

The ambulance and police cars had beaten me. I stayed hidden in the tree line, hoping no one would notice a large, brown shape in the woods.

I watched as a hysterically crying woman opened the door. The medics rushed in her house. I couldn't see what was going on, so I tried to listen through all the exterior noise.

I heard feet running up the stairs. A door opened, and at least four people rushed into Evie's room. Two more people hopped out of the awaiting ambulance with a stretcher.

That's when the worst possibility made itself known. She couldn't be. My eyes started to tear up at the possibility. Evie couldn't be dead.

The guys quickly rolled the stretcher into Evie's house. I heard a body being placed onto the stretcher. A mournful howl started in my throat.

It was cut off when Evie was rolled out on the stretcher. I could see that she was still breathing. My howl died down and turned into a whimper as I looked at the state of her.

She easily looked like she could be dead. Her skin was too pale. There was sweat all along her face and body. The only assurance I had that she was alive, were the shallow movements of her chest going up and down as she breathed.

The medics rolled her into the ambulance, along with her crying parents. The ambulance immediately took off, with a police car in front of it and behind it.

I took off, following the line of emergency vehicles. I made sure that I was in the cover of the trees as I followed.

Soon, we left the residential area of town and the forest disappeared from next to the road and reappeared behind the stores. Still in the forest, I followed the ambulance by the sirens. I had to make sure she got to the hospital quickly.

I reached the hospital a few seconds before the ambulance did. I watched from the tree line as the ambulance drove into the ER section. Medics immediately rushed from inside the hospital to the back of the ambulance.

I watched as the lifted the stretcher out of the ambulance and rushed it into the hospital. Evie's parents came out of the ambulance next and rushed into the hospital after their daughter.

I tried listening to what was happening in the hospital. With all the noise, the sirens, the voices and commotion in the hospital, I couldn't hear what was going on with Evie.

My worry immediately turned into searing anger as I realized who put her there. Who put her in that condition. A fearsome growl tore out of my throat.

I turned around, and in an anger driven frenzy, I ran back home. Red clouded my vision as I ran. That son of a bitch!

I reached home with a new record and a new plan. It was probably going to get me killed, but I was past caring at this point.

The shift back to human didn't hurt as it should of. I figured it was because I was so angry. Grabbing a pair of shorts in the basket that is left out on the porch, I stormed in. The door smacked the wall and everyone's head turned to look at me. I ignored them as I stormed upstairs.

Reaching Ashton's room, I didn't bother knocking. My anger increased as I found him lounging in his bed watching TV without a care in the world.

"You son of a bitch!" I roared, not caring who heard me. Ashton's eyes snapped to me. He clearly didn't like what I said.

"I will give you a chance to apologize before I show you who's in charge here." He said calmly, though I knew that he was far from calm.

"Not a chance in hell." I hissed. My body was pushed up against the wall in the next second. Ashton's hand was around my throat.

"Apologize. Now." Ashton growled. I could tell his wolf was about to explode from my lack of respect.

"She's in the fucking hospital. And you know who put her there? You!" I shouted in his face.

Ashton's angry expression vanished. Mine, however, did not.

"Is she okay?" He asked quietly.

"I don't know Ashton! Why don't you ask that bitch that you decided to fuck last night!" I wasn't falling for his shit today. He didn't give a damn about her, his actions proved that.

Ashton's hand fell from my throat and I fell to my feet. I shoved him away from me. He didn't even retaliate to my shove.

Instead, he walked backwards until the back of his knees hit the bed and sat down. He put his head in his hands and seemed to be taking a couple of deep breaths.

"Is she okay?" He repeated.

I growled at his question, "I don't goddamn know Ashton. She was unconscious when the ambulance showed up and she didn't seem to be awake when they got to the hospital."

When Ashton didn't respond immediately, I turned around to exit his room.

"Where are you going?" Ashton called out when I reached the doorway.

I turned my head around so I could look at him. He actually looked genuinely worried. Bastard.

"I'm going to go see if my friend is okay." I said, putting emphasis on 'friend'. I didn't bother staying around to see what Ashton was going to do next.

I walked out of his room and went downstairs. All commotion had stopped and it seemed as if everyone was frozen. They must of heard Ashton and I's conversation. I walked past them and picked up a shirt from one of the women's baskets. I threw it on as I continued walking toward the garage.

In the garage, I grabbed the keys to my car, hopped in, and speedily drove to the hospital. Please be okay Evie.