8: Curious Man

Curious Man

Nick and I arrived in Washington DC the next day. I couldn't get her out of my mind. The strange questions she asked which I didn't have a second thought about up until now.

The Clarkson's and Smith's have known each other for years, and I have never thought about them so much, only as another clash in the marketing business. The only time dad talks about them will be if they open up a store or if stories are going around about them. However he never personally talks about his past with David Smith.

Nobody else talked about them in our family. Mother isn't so bad like dad, she still has an open-hearted smile, but you can see she's holding something. Henry, my brother, never talks about them. He had some past conferences with Federico and Cole Smith.

I wonder what happened.

"Adam you coming?" Mason's voice snapped me out of my thoughts and back to reality.

We were currently at the entrance of a big hall my father owns. All our family and business gatherings took place here.

Claudette's Julliard party is taking place tonight. All her high school friends along with family were invited. Dad also used this opportunity to bring in more business. His work friends were also here, and it would only be fair to invite my friends along with Alicia and Henry's.

Even though I'm not sure if Henry will attend. Last I saw him was a few weeks ago at our grandmother's birthday party. Claudette was closer to me than Alicia or Henry. He was barely here when she grew up. At the age of seventeen, he buried himself in his books and worked to become the future owner of Clarkson Hotels. At the time Claudette was only ten while Alicia and I were 15.

"Let the night begin," I said with a grin as I walked side by side with my best friend.

We were dressed in black tuxedos with black bow ties, matching as always. When Henry and I were little, mom used to match us but as we grew older he vanished, and Mason filled the space.

The ballroom was decorated in white and gold, several lights hanging from the ceiling making the room spark. A dance floor in the center as an orchestra played on the side.

A stage was displayed at the front with candles on the edge as a massive podium stood in the middle

A stage was displayed at the front with candles on the edge as a massive podium stood in the middle. Guests were taking their seats as some people lingered around with champagne glasses and socialized.

At the corner of my eye, I could see my sister Claudette approaching us. She was wearing a gold strapless dress that ended mid-thigh length. Her long brunette hair was curled making the white heels she wore stand out.

She approached me with an innocent smile on her face as I raised a brow. Even though she's eighteen, she was still under our parent's roof meaning that she had to attend all gatherings. I mentally scoffed at her outfit thinking that it was too revealing since her high school 'friends' are lingering around.