Chapter 21: Voices of the Ocean

Saira's P.O.V

As I opened my eyes, I thought, that everything was a dream. I still couldn't believe what happened yesterday evening. To my surprise, Li had the same feeling as I had for him. His scent was still tickling my nose, then I noticed the strong arms wrapped around me. Then I turned my head to the right side and saw Li sleeping. I was about to panic, when I realized that nothing happened, fortunately. But how did he end up in my cabin, in my bed? As far as I can remember, we parted ways when we reached the SS Minato. I brushed through Li's hair, who groaned in response.
"How did you end up in my room?", I asked.
"First of all, I missed my girlfriend. And Second, you were having a nightmare."
My eyes widened:"Oh no! What time is it?"
"2 a.m?"
"What are you doing here? You have to do your shift!"
"Haku asked if he could domine. He needed...time to think."
"It was that snake...am I right?"
"What? Ah you're talking about that girl. Yeah, he misses her.", he said. I sighed. Although I didn't like her, I felt sorry for Haku.
"What are you thinking? "
"I was thinking how to throw you out of my cabin without anyone seeing you."
"I think it's okay for them to know."
"No, it's not Li. I don't want the whole world to know that we're a couple. And by the way you're kinda my boss. That's weird."
"I'm not your boss. I'm a higher official. And you're here for only two years. So it's okay."
"I still don't want everyone to know, Li. We're in a relationship with each other,not with them."
Li sighed:"Alright."
I hated attention. I knew sooner or later someone would find out but for now, I only wanted Li and me. Without anyone interfering. "I hope Haku doesn't count."
I slapped his arm:"Of course he doesn't."
"Good, because he knows everything."
I sighed and shook my head then I pushed him out of the bed:"Get up!"
He groaned:"Why?"
"Because I have to do my shift!"
Before I could get out of the cabin, Li grabbed my arm and placed a brief kiss on my lips then he let go of me and I finally could take over my shift.

When I reached the deck, a very quiet Haku was standing there, watching the sea.
"Are you okay?", Haku jumped as he heard my voice.
He turned around, with sadness in his and nodded. I blinked a few times to make sure that the real Haku was standing in front of me. Never have I seen him that sad, okay, I've known him since a few months only but still. I didn't like seeing him like that.
"So...are you looking forward to get home?",I asked.
Haku looked up to me:"No."
I let out a sigh.

Can't you see that she has a fake character?

"She was different...she liked me...because I was being myself. And not because I'm Li's friend."

Aha. Doesn't seem like that.

"Look. There are so many beautiful and nice girls in Republic City, who are crazy after you. Why don't you just forget that hoe, I mean that girl."
"I guess you don't like her, huh? The problem is, that every girl runs after Li. And every time I thought that a girl liked me, she just asked me to hook her up with Li."
My arms wrapped around Haku automatically.
"Those girls don't know what they missed, Haku. They're blind when they don't see such a handsome young man like you."
Haku returned the hug:"That means you're blind too?"
I laughed:"Probably yes."
We pulled away and Haku told me how fun his night was. But something else caught my attention.
Fog appeared around the fleet.
"What is that?", I asked, still not getting what was happening here.
"Can you hear that?", Haku asked.
Only then I heard the whispers from everywhere. My instincts told me to wake up Li, immediately. I did not wait any longer and ran down to his cabin.
"Li!", I yelled and knocked, not waiting, I crushed in.
In front of me, a very sleepy Li was trying to get up. As he saw my panicked face, he fastened the procedure.
As we reached the deck, I suddenly understood what was happening here. And I knew it was not good.

My father told me about this. Once he was travelling to the Northern Watertribe and suddenly the sea became foggy. Then he heard whispers. As he looked down, he saw beautiful women. One for each of them. The women were asking for help. My father, married at that time, could no decide what to do. But his crewmember was dumb enough to do help. When he jumped off the ship, all the women crashed their bodies on him and drawned him. My father realized, that they weren't human beings. They had fish tails. The mysterious, beautiful women were mermaids. A few minutes later, the water coloured red.

Imagining those picture, I took Li's hand and ran to Haku, who was leaning over the ship. Li pulled Haku away and I looked down. I was right. Their red eyes were glowing in the darkness. They looked up to me with their sharp teeth formed to a smile.
"What are you two doing? That lady needs my help!"
"Lady?", Li asked curiosly.
I gave him an annoyed look and answered:"To fill their stomaches? Then yes. Haku she is dangerous!"
Haku shook his head, not wanting to hear anything what I said.
"You are just jealous be-"
Haku's voice lowered suddenly. She was signing.
Haku elbowed Li and jumped off the ship.

Why are men so stupid?

We heard a loud splash and looked down.
"Bring a waterbender!", Li commanded. I nodded and ran down to the cabins, asking Levi out of his room. A few minutes he opened his door and followed me to the deck.
"What's wrong?"
"You'll see it yourself, Levi."
As we reached, Levi looked down and gasped:"That can't be!"
"You saved my life, my prince."
"That's my duty, Mylady.", Haku answered.
She placed her hands on his cheeks and leaned forward, her lips getting close to Haku's.
"Don't you think it's time to do something?", Li asked me.
"It's not time yet."

Suddenly we saw different colours shimmer in the water. I could see many hands around Haku while he was kissing the beautiful mermaid.
"Now!", Li yelled.
Levi bent the water up, so Haku and the mermaids ended up on the ship.
I pulled Haku away from the mermaid and lit up a fire in my hands. The mermaids jerked back as they saw the flames.
"What do you want?", the beautiful one hissed.
"My friend. And information.", I answered.
"You got him, now let us go!"
"No, you owe me informations, since you were about to slaughter Haku."
She looked to the other ones and they nodded.
"Please bring him to Dr Shen.", I asked Li and Levi since I wanted to be alone with the mysterious women. Li and Levi nodded, leaving me alone.
It was dangerous to be alone with these creatures but it was worth it.