34: Mila- Confrontation

one on one

one on one

****

THE WAY I pictured Leila's reaction was completely different. In my head, I imagined her feigning innocence and telling me I was the one overreacting. However, I certainly didn't expect the psychotic smile tug at her lips when I sat in front of her in the cafe Ellie mentioned earlier.

"What a surprise," she smirked, taking a sip of her iced coffee. "I was expecting you being here earlier. Guess I was wrong."

I crossed my arms and stared at her. I could tell she was uncomfortable, but she acted as if me staring was the most natural thing in the world. "Take a picture," she said. 

I couldn't for my life understand how Enzo was ever with her, but I'm one hundred percent sure that he never knew about her current persona. 

"I'm not going to ask if it was you who posted that," I glared, hoping it would make her feel on edge. 

"Well," Leila pushed her hair back, exposing her neck. "That would be a waste of time wouldn't it? Why don't you ask me what you really want to know?"

"All I want to know is why you said those things about me," I crossed my arms. "What did I do for you to say those things about me?"

"I think that's obvious," her tone was snarky. "You stole Enzo from me."

"When he and I got together, he was single. Truth be told, he didn't even tell me about you until today. This still doesn't explain why I'm being slut-shamed here."

Leila looked as if she were about to burst. I knew what I said to her definitely pushed a button, but I decided to keep going.

"If anything," I try to keep my voice calm. "He said you're not that kind of person to bully others. So I hope you know, not only could I sue you for defamation of character, but you've also lost Enzo's respect."

"This is why you deserve the things I said," she scoffed. "Do you hear yourself? All that's special about you is that you're rich. What would Milana Finley be without money?"

I'm taken aback by her claim and as I'm about to reply, Leila continues.

"You think Enzo doesn't get external validation from others because of your wealth? 'Oh, the rich girl is my girlfriend, I'm now worthy and not the trash people think I am'. All there is to you Mila is your money. Do you seriously think Enzo would be with you if it weren't for that? Like c'mon, be realistic." Leila finished speaking and looked satisfied with herself.

"Are you done?" I ask, feeling overall confused and annoyed. "I didn't realize I was speaking to his mom."

"Let's hear what you have to say, I'm sure it'll be riveting."

"First of all," I began. "How can you think that Enzo believes his worth is decided by the amount of money my family has? Yes, you're right. My family's wealth is a crucial part to who I am today, but that doesn't mean I get a say in how a person's value is assessed. I don't know who told you that if a rich person finds you attractive, you're worthy. Your views are archaic and that's understandable, however, that doesn't give you the right to comment on our relationship. It doesn't work like that, Leila."

Leila is about to speak, but I cut her off this time. 

"Also," I sit up straighter, feeling my anger brim the surface. "Enzo is not trash. Here I thought you still had feelings for him since you're his ex-girlfriend, but turns out you're just jealous that he has someone who loves him for who he is. I hope you know that relationships aren't about saving the other person from their worst selves. I'm not responsible for his self-actualization. Along with that, if he even was with me solely for my money, I have enough self-respect for myself to break up with him and not listen to your bullshit claims. If you truly knew Enzo, you would know he doesn't care about others' opinions, but his own."

I make note of her flinching at my words and quickly wiping her eyes. Feeling a huge sense of relief that she now understands that this is wrong, I stand up from my seat. Abruptly, I feel a hand on my shoulder, which pushes me back down in an instant.

"Thank you, Leila." It was his voice, clearer than what I heard that night. "You can expect the money in your account by tomorrow. You may go now, I've got it from here."

He nods to her and Leila gives me one last glance before walking away from the table. Her entire demeanor changed in an instant. She was no longer the rude ex-girlfriend I met, but the meek person Enzo described. What the fuck was going on?

He sits where Leila sat and grins. "Surprised I bet? Don't take it out on her, she did it to pay for her mother's dialysis treatment."

As much as I wished I could tell who was sitting it front of me, he wore a mask and baseball cap that basically covered any distinguishable features on his face.

"I'm sure you're racking your brain to figure out who I am, but that's a surprise Mila. You're going to have to wait. I just had to step in though, after hearing your wonderful speech."

"So it was you who paid Leila to post those comments." I glower at him. "I must say that is certainly attention grabbing. We're in public, so don't even try anything."

"Don't worry," he mused. "I'm just here to get some things straight. Give you some parts of my backstory and all. Maybe make you empathize with me? That's still up in the air."

"Say what you must," I rolled my eyes. 

"It's very simple, Milana." He pushed aside the drink Leila left behind. "I want revenge. You were one of the people who fucked with my life a long time ago and I just want the same to be done to you. I think that's a major clue for your amateur investigation, Milana."

A long time ago? Did my mother screw him over? How did he know we were investigating?

"Don't take it personally, you're not the only person I'm after. However, I do remember telling you to stay away from Enzo. You're mine after all. When this is all done with you left with nothing, that's when I'll make my move. Talking about it gets me so excited!" His laugh was maniacal.

I'm about to answer him, but then my phone rings. It was Enzo.

"Go on answer it," he gestured to the phone. "Put it on speaker will you? I don't want to have to tap your calls again."

Trembling, I answer the phone. "Hey, did you find out anything?"

"Yeah," his voice solemn. "I don't think you're going to like what I say next though."

The man adjusts his cap and I see a small piece of brown hair at the sides peek through. His eyes were brown as well. Just like majority of the population...

"Tell me," the phone was on the table and the man looked eager.

"Mila," Enzo sighed. "It was your mom that hired the stalker."

"What do you mean?" I frowned. From what I could tell, the man seemed to be smiling enthusiastically. 

"I'll tell you more later, but please get back home soon. It's not safe, Mila." Enzo answered and then hung up. 

"Wow," the man clapped his hands. "What a plot twist! I must say, this is getting more and more interesting. Until then, I hope my little tidbit of information was helpful. While you're asking your mother, make sure to give Julian my regards as well. I look forward to our next meeting, Milana."