Jamie & the No Good, Terrible, Very Bad Day

(15 years old)

I hated working at my mom's events. It's not that I didn't love her company, Basic. It's just that the work is incredibly boring.

My mom had bribed me into coming today by offering to pay me. I couldn't turn down the offer, as I was trying to save up to see AC/DC in concert.

My dad offered to pay for half the ticket if I could front the money for the other half. But I was too young to get a job, and my parents had already told me that I wouldn't be having one in high school anyways.

Grades come first or whatever.

All I knew is that I was stuck being a broke teenager.

So here I was, working the samples booth for my mom.

Nobody ever comes by the samples booth. Everyone who pays the entrance fee receives the popular samples in their gift bag. And nobody ever wants to drop by and pick up the not-so-popular samples, because they're busy trying to fit everything else to do here into their schedule.

The schedule was jam-packed with events. And I knew it by heart, as I'd had to listen to my mom obsess over it for the past month and a half.

There were makeup tutorials, makeovers, speakers, meet-and-greets, and a lot of networking. For an extra fee, there were even professional headshots available.

So with everyone running around, there was little time to drop by the pop-up booth of samples that they already had.

I held my phone underneath the table, checking my texts. My friends had gone to the beach today, and I hated watching their Instagram stories, because it reminded me of the fun I could've been having.

They were going to come back tanned, and I was going to be ghostly white from spending the weekend inside.

Jealous didn't even begin to cover it.

The group chat was silent, as everyone was currently together, but I shot off a text expressing how much I wanted to be there.

The beach pictures were going to be all over my feed for the next week at least.

I pulled my hair down, redoing my messy bun as I read the flood of replies. I'd set my alarm as late as humanly possible, meaning that I didn't leave any time for hair or makeup. And at a makeup convention, I was definitely out of place.

I heard someone clear their throat, and I glanced up to see three, teenage girls standing in front of the booth.

They looked to be a bit older than me, but that could be because of their flawless makeup.

"Feel free to take whatever sample you'd like," I said, with a shrug. "I mean, you already have them, but get that free concealer while you still can."

Whenever I run out of concealer, I depend on samples until my mom can snag some more for me.

"We're actually just looking for Meeting Room C," the brunette said. "We bought VIP tickets."

Congratulations? "I can't help you. I don't know where Meeting Room C is."

"You don't know where Emily Winston is doing her Q&A session?" the black-haired girl asked.

I shook my head. "I haven't seen her since this morning."

It was nearly lunch time, which meant I got to close down this booth and grab as many cookies as I possibly could before the kitchen staff kicked me out.

If I could live on cookies, I totally would.

"What good is having a worker that doesn't know the layout?" the first girl snapped.