31; Floods Rush In

'Consequences' by Camila Cabello

"Lonely pillows in a stranger's bed.

Little voices in my head.

Secret keeping, stop the bleeding."

Elijah circled Davina's charcoal drawing, claiming it to be his dead ex, Celeste.

"The Italians call them "Strega". The Yoruba of West Africa calls them "Aja", meaning Mother. Where my mother was from, they called them "Hexa", and here we call them "witch". Over the centuries, vampires fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether advisory or an ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with," Elijah gave spoke, Hayley and I lazily listening. "Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been an all-powerful witch until Davina."

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection," Klaus states, entering the room. I scoffed and shook my head in anger. He shoots me a glance before continuing. "Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil according to our volatile artist in residence," Klaus says.

"Same thing could be said about you," I give a sarcastic hateful smile to Klaus.

"Yes. Perhaps Davina has mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for two hundred years. I don't understand why all these sketches now," Elijah sits down.

"Elijah, come on. No one is truly dead, you should know that. If a witch feels the strong remaining power of another witch that's over two hundred years dead, that bitch ain't dead," I state, plucking a mint chocolate kiss out of the coffee table's centerpiece, popping it in my mouth.

A sudden scream and a crash sounded down the hall. Everyone turned their heads to the door. "Well, that's going well," Klaus states.

"If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea," Elijah stated to Klaus in a judgmental tone.

"Agreed. Let's not forget trying to kill her as well," I scoff.

"Well. Are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?" Klaus asks.

"Give me a month. I'll get you a list," Elijah promised.

Klaus laughed and another crash sounded from down the hall. "Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass," Klaus whined.

"Only if you provoke them, asshole," I roll my eyes and stand, walking out of the room. Another crash came, then the coughing. I ran to Davina's room and burst through the door. Davina was hunched over the bed, coughing like an old smoker. Dirt flew from her mouth to the white and floral patterned bed sheets. Power radiated off of her. Marcel rubbed her back as Klaus ran in.

"Bloody hell."

The building began to shake uncontrollably, making my senses feel like they were in a blender. Pictures and knacks crashed to Davina's floor. Klaus and I looked at each other in worry and ran out to the balcony. Everything was shaking. Vampires below us ran about, taking cover. Rebekah stood below.

"What the hell is going on?" she yelled.

"Davina."

_____

"This is madness. How did a sixteen-year-old girl shake the entire French Quarter?" Klaus asks.

"I've seen her rock the church, but I've never seen anything like this," Marcel said.