- 31 -

“What do you need to talk to me about?” I ask shyly.

“Come on, Nicole. Don’t give me that. You clearly know damn well why I’m here.”

I sigh. “Liam, I’m really sorry. You were never meant to find out. I didn’t want you to get hurt, and it wasn’t Melissa’s place to tell you.”

“How long has this been going on? Can you tell me that, or is that a secret too? Were you dating when you kissed me at that party?”

“No. Liam, why are you acting like this? I’m sorry.

“Sorry doesn’t cut it, Nicole. He’s you’re foster brother. This is against the law.”

“Melissa does this with every single foster brother she comes in contact with! I don’t see you yelling at her! In fact she does worse. I don’t know why it’s such a scandal now.”

“Because he’s my best friend! My band mate! I can’t believe I was so stupid to actually open up to you! Has this been a plan of yours for a while? To mess with my emotions like this?! I thought you didn’t want a boyfriend. Was that a lie too?”

“Stop it. You’re acting like a child,” I tell him.

“How so? I’m not allowed to be upset by this?”

“You can be upset all you want, but it won’t change anything or solve any problems. I’m sorry things worked out this way. We kept it a secret for a reason.”

“So you wouldn’t have to deal with me, is that it?”

“Liam-“

“You’re not the person that I thought you were,” he sneers. “And neither is Harry. You two deserve each other.”

“I want to be your friend, Liam. That’s all I’ve ever wanted. Why are you making this so difficult?!”