I | Prologue | I

"You could rattle the stars. You could do anything, if only you dared."
-Throne of Glass, by Sarah J. Maas.

    ♚   

"Your highness." The small, scared voice came in from out of the door yet again. Princess Adela Elizabeth Ashburnum shut her eyes tightly and pushed the soft, fluffy silk pillow over her ears. But no chance, she heard loud knocks on her door again, and she was left with nothing else but to groan and sit up straight on her bed.

"What is it?" She said, not really politely.

"It is 9 a.m. Your Highness." The female voice said carefully, "His Majesty and My Queen have been awaiting your arrival for breakfast."

Sighing, she got out of bed, still very much sleepy. She told the female servant to come in. Adela spread the curtains wide open, and let the bright sunlight inside her room. Her room was big enough for about 40 people to easily fit in, with nothing but a large ass bed in the middle, a dresser and a pretty large wardrobe tucked in one corner. As usual, the servant helped her bath and then, went on to the dressing.

These corsets and gowns were the worst things to survive in. Only Adela knew how she managed to walk with a dress that actually weighed more than her. She was the most bored and unconcerned person as the servant put the dress on her, and only hissed when the corset was too tight to breath. Her bright, golden blonde hair was made up in a bun, bangs escaping from the sides. The royal blue dress that she wore made her golden eyes shine, and her already too-white skin even more white.

When she was ready, Adela followed the same pattern she had to follow everyday. Escorted by two guards on her back, two on the front and the female servant beside her, she was led through the large, empty halls, the echoes of their footsteps the only sounds, towards the royal dining hall where her parents were already waiting for her, seated on two chairs next to each other. 

"Your Majesty. My Queen." Adela bowed a little, her gowns protesting at the movement. King Declan only smiled at her, like he always did, with a little nod. Queen Alexandra beamed at her too.

"I guess another lecture about being punctual won't really have an effect on you, just like the past ones." Her mother said, shaking her head at her.

"I am sorry." Adela said politely, "I overslept."

"Have a seat." Her father said, and she moved forward to sit on her chair. Unlike any other noble person, when she pulled out the chair, it resulted in a loud screeching voice that echoed through the hall. God, she could never learn it, could she. She looked up only to see her father smiling sympathetically at her.

She quietly sat down and let the servants fill her plate with food from the large dinner table.
"Where is Edgar?"

As if on cue, he burst into the room, his hair still wet and messed up from the shower he might have had after his morning workout. He smiled apologetically at their parents, and then grinned at Adela. Yes, no one truly understood her more than her own dear brother. Also because they were so much alike. He was Prince Edgar Arlington Ashburnum IV of Archensheen, her partner in every crime.

"Your Majesty" He said, still catching his breath, "Sorry for not being punctual."

Their father shook his head now, and then said to their mother, "I have always wondered from whom did they inherit these things."