Chapter XXXVII: Jacob's Point of View

Annie begged me to let her stop and talk to Emily. I agreed, albeit reluctantly. I wanted my imprint home in my arms where I could talk to her, convince her that I loved her. She gave polite hugs to everyone, but it was clear that she didn't want to talk to any of them right now. I watched as Emily jerked her head towards the back porch and Annie followed her outside. 

"Trouble in paradise already?" Quil laughed.

He had joined us the day after Ryanne left for Italy. He was sitting at the old table, hands trembling and sweat rolling down his back. His only friend, the only person that he had left wasn't returning his calls, his texts. Nothing. Paul managed to drag him out in time, but leave it to Quil to be the one excited about exploding into Spirit Warrior. And he hadn't been kind about my imprint on Annie, saying that he would've guessed that ages ago and teasing me about my overprotective nature.

"I don't know; she just said she needed to talk to Em," I replied.

"I'm glad she's back; Kim wants to talk to her," Jared said. Kim had taken the wolf thing rather well, but we all knew she wanted a little support and explanation. And while Emily was great at that, she wasn't someone that Kim actually knew.

"I'm sure Annie will talk to her, just give her a few days," I said. Jared looked at me and nodded but it was Sam's stare that bothered me the most. I knew he had a million questions and I knew getting the answers from me wasn't what he wanted. 

"Sam, she's had a rough few days. Please just give her time," I said. He nodded.

"Where's she been?" he asked as we all sat on the couch and chairs and floor.

"Italy. The little leech can't see our futures. She thought Bella died because Embry and I saved her. She told her coven and one of them told Bella's bloodsucker that she killed herself. He went to these royal vamps in Italy-"

"Royal vamps?" Sam questioned.

"Annie didn't give a lot of details, only that they like powers. What the Cullens can do is nothing compared to what these ones can do. One of them can read every thought you've ever had just by touching you. Annie was tortured by another one because it looked at her."

"She was tortured!" Paul cried, outrage and racing towards the back door.

"She's fine, Paul; I already checked. The leech tortured her because she wouldn't let the other one know about the pack."

"Why did she go with them?" Embry asked now.

"The Cullen that she went with threatened to hurt us. She wouldn't have done anything; it would break the treaty. But she knew what to say to convince Annie to go with her. They took her phone, which was she wasn't calling any of us back."

"I told you she didn't go with them because she wanted to," Paul said.

"Sam, you got a minute?" I asked quietly. Everyone seemed to take the hint as Sam and I slipped into the kitchen.

"What's wrong?"

"Sam, she's pretty shaken. I found her semiconscious in the shower, shaking and telling me that she was sorry. She isn't the same Annie that she was. And I tried to tell her that I love her, I kissed her, and she doesn't believe me. I-I don't know what to do here."

Sam seemed like the person to talk to about this. I had only seen brief glimpses of Emily after the accident, but from what I had seen, she had withdrawn into herself and been so cautious about what she said. She was afraid of Sam and I think that hurt him more than anything else. 

"Kissing her isn't going to make her magically see how much you love her, Jake. I mean, Paul will kiss anything with boobs and lips. You have to show her that it's not about Bella; that she is nothing like Bella."