chapter 73

I've got a plan to get Remus and Violet one step closer to being together. I've invited the both of them to Hogsmeade and once a comfortable flow of conversation is started, I'll find some excuse to make myself scarce.

"Chiara, I don't know about this." Remus says while anxiously clinging onto my arm.

"Remus, get off me before she thinks I'm the one you fancy." I scold him in a whisper-yell before smiling at some passersby who are giving us odd looks.

"You had better not leave me alone with her!" I open my mouth to protest but he presses his pointer finger to my lips to keep me from doing so. "You're staying with us the entire time, no exceptions. You aren't as slick as you think you are. I know you, Keeks."

I push his hand away from my face. "Do you want to hear what I think?"

He finally pries himself from my arm and fixes his collar. "Alright...what?"

"I think you're making a huge mistake. You're obviously struggling, why not just take the bone I'm throwing? I'm giving you an easy out of asking her on a first date yourself, or at least giving you the chance to do it yourself at the end of the day."

He frowns and kicks at an invisible pebble on the floor. "I'm scared."

"Are you so afraid of committing to anyone that isn't me or the boys that you'd settle for not living your life out to it's fullest? Well I won't accept that. You like her and she likes you back. She likes you, darling. As in, she wants to date you. You act as if you're some big scary monster who is undeserving of anything good but that's so far from the truth. There's a reason I call you my golden-hearted teddy bear."

A big smile breaks out onto his face. "Please stay. You make me feel safe. You're like chocolate," I raise an eyebrow at that. "when everything is wrong, you're just the embodiment of safety for me. I genuinely think you could make anyone laugh without even trying."

I smile, "Even though I'm annoying?"

"Ah but that's half your charm." He grins. "You know, Sirius thought you were a Veela when we all first met."

"He did?" I snort in amusement.

"Mhm. He had us all convinced too." Remus tells me with a fond smile. "You're too loveable for your own good."

"Shut up." I nudge him, blushing madly.

He hesitates to go on, "I know you like Sirius, you know."

I freeze in place. "I-I don't –"

"It's obvious, Keeks." Remus interrupts. "And he fancies you just as well."

"He told you that?" I ask a little too eagerly.

He stuffs his hands in his pants pockets. "Not in words, in everything he does. How you can't see it is beyond me. But I suppose that's just human nature for you. The signs are all there, but we choose to ignore them because we don't want to believe that someone could really like us because we don't think we're ever good enough. Am I wrong?" He knows he isn't.

I sigh, about ready to spill my feelings to him when Violet makes her way down the staircase to the common room and greets us cheerfully. "Good morning! Are we all ready to go?"

Remus is still looking at me. "Yeah," He faces her now. "Yeah, we're ready."

*

Remus has gone to the bathroom while Violet and I get drinks. The second he's no longer within earshot, I turn to her. "Okay, no offence Vi, but what the bloody hell are you doing?"

"What do you mean?" She asks guiltily.

"I mean you haven't said a single word to Remus all day. I'd think this was a date between me and you with how much you're talking to me. Remus keeps trying to spark something but you just shut him down. He's doing his best but you're not making it very easy for him."

She sighs and buries her face in her hands. "I know! I'm so nervous I can't think of anything to say."

"To Remus." I add.

"Yes, to Remus."

"Yes, because to me there's been no stopping you. I can tell he's getting more and more uncomfortable because he won't stop holding onto my arm and now it's sore. You need to start talking to him or else this is all for nothing."

"Okay," She nods her head intently. "Okay, I'll try."

After ordering three Butterbeers from Madam Rosmerta and setting ourselves up at a table, Remus makes his way back over wearing an awkward smile. He tries and fails to be discreet about scooting his chair closer to me. I give him a pointed look but he just shrugs his shoulders in response.

"Oh, good! Just the students I wanted to see." I look up to find Professor Slughorn smiling down at us with a tankard of Firewhiskey in his hand. I can tell he's tipsy with the way he's slurring his words. "How are you three today?"

"Spiffing, sir, thank you for asking." I smile broadly at him before eyeing his cup with a giggle. "Careful with that drink before you spill some on Violet."

"Ooh," He tilts the cup back upright. "good thing one of us pays attention, Ms Holland. I've been meaning to ask, I always put together a little Christmas party before the holiday break for select students. Would you be game?"

"Of course! That sounds delightful!" I say happily.

His smile widens and he turns to Remus and Violet. "Mr Lupin? Ms Irvine?" The couple offer him polite smiles and nods of their heads. "Splendid! It'll be on the seventeenth of December – oh, and feel free to bring a date. The more the merrier!"

When he leaves I flit my gaze from Remus to Violet suggestively and nod my head at her until Remus understands what I'm getting at. He clears his throat and I have to hold back my excited squeals. "S-So, er, Violet...y-you're going to this thing, right?"

She smiles at him, "Yes, it sounds nice."

"It does! Well, since you'll be there a-and I-I'll be there, what do you say we go together?" He quickly squeezes his eyes shut and awaits a reaction from her.

He doesn't see what I do: the way her pupils expand leaving only a ringlet of blue left, the way her thin lips form the biggest smile I've ever seen a person wear, or the way she's wiggling around excitedly in her seat.

"I'd love that!"

Remus' eyes fly open again and his pupils are just as big as hers. "Really?!" She giggles at his enthusiasm making him blush. "I-I mean, I'm looking forward to it."

"So am I."

I smile into my Butterbeer. Well now I really can't wait for this party.