Chapter Thirty-Two

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter 32 

“I cannot believe him,” I hissed angrily, shutting off the TV in my fury. “He’s dead! Absolutely dead! He’s going to regret this!”

“This is so ridiculous!” Tori agreed with a growl. “That’s just… ugh!”

“And if Christian had anything to do with this, I swear…” I shook my head. 

Tori was about to agree once again when she backtracked. “Wait, wait, wait. Sophia Elizabeth Hastings… are you jealous?” 

“Of course I’m jealous!”

Her eyes widened. “You’re admitting it now? Ohmygod! You like him! I knew it! I knew it!”

I knew there was no way to hide it from her any longer. She was just too involved in my life. Besides, she was my best friend. She deserved to know and I knew she’d be happy for me. “I do like him.” 

Tori squealed and jumped up, completely forgetting how angry she was not thirty seconds ago. “Ohmygod, finally! Why haven’t you accepted him? Do you see what happens when you wait? The guy goes back to his stupid ex!” 

“See, that’s the thing…” 

She looked at me warily. “What?” 

“I didn’t tell you before because we both agreed to keep it a secret, and, well… you’ve got a big mouth, Tori.” 

She looked slightly offended, but by the look on her face, I could tell she acknowledged the fact that this was undeniably true. “Ohmygod! You guys are going out, aren’t you?” 

I just nodded and said, “I accepted him about a week ago… we just hadn’t told anybody yet.”

“Then what is this all about?” she exclaimed, staring at the TV in horror even though it had been shut off already. “Why is his manager saying that?”

“That’s exactly what I would like to know,” I grumbled.

I wasn’t going to lie. I was expecting Christian to call me with a damned good explanation for this. 

It didn’t take him long to do as I expected. I was still talking to Tori when he called. “Have you been watching the news lately?”

“If by news you mean silly celebrity gossip shows, then yes.” 

He sounded nervous when he spoke next. “Yeah. That…” 

I didn’t say anything. I was trying to control my anger. I didn’t want to say anything I would regret later, as I did very often. It was better to just remain silent. 

“Soph, I swear I had nothing to do with what that idiot said about me and Cassandra,” Christian assured me. 

“Mmmhmm.” 

“Really, Soph. Come on. If you still don’t believe me after everything, then…” 

I silently huffed. “Then what?”

“Then I’m going to have a hard time figuring out how else I can prove it to you!” 

I rolled my eyes. He was so strange. He would still try to prove his affections to me, even after all of his attempts? That was actually really nice. 

“You don’t have to prove it to me,” I finally said. 

“Good,” Christian said, sounding more cheerful. “I mean it, though. I had nothing to do with that. You’re my girlfriend, not her. I love you, not her.”