1. the unanswered conundrum

J A Y

J A Y

The sound of bone snapping on impact made me gasp as the crowd cheered the fight on, as one bloody body fell to the ground.

A boy towered over the seemingly frozen, lifeless body, his chest rising and falling as his fists clenched. Black hair stuck slightly to his forehead as he looked around slowly at the cheering crowd.

Someone smashed shoulders with me as he cheered before jumping on his friend's shoulder from excitement. Everyone's phones were out as they recorded the incident.

I pushed through the crowd towards the victim who was still lying on the ground. No one even bothered to check if he was dead.

His hair, wet with blood, dripped through my fingers as I cupped his head. I couldn't stop my hands from shaking; the crimson liquid covered my fingers.

The boy's cloudy eyes were open, electric blue staring somewhere past me.

"He's not dead." A husky voice cracked through the cheering crowd, "Son of a bitch should be dead, but he ain't."

Looking up to meet the gaze of Soren, who was staring at me with a blank expression. He was dead inside; he couldn't feel the pain of his red knuckles.

"Get out of the way! Break it up!" Mrs. Prinstone yelled over the crowd pushing her way towards the centre of the self-made circle, "Get to class now, all of you!"

It was a known fact that at the smallest sign of misbehaviour, Mrs. Prinstone would call any kid's parents without a second thought.

People indeed scattered until it was only Soren, the nearly unconscious boy, and I.

And that was how Soren McKinin reached his all time record of breaking four junior kids' noses in one term.

Everyone knew who Soren McKinin was, yet actually talking to him or interacting was when little to no hands were raised.

He wasn't, per say, "popular" yet everyone wanted to be friends with him. Maybe it was the allure of saying, "I'm best friends with a person who hates people, which makes me special."

The rumours that rocketed around the mystery of Soren McKinin were so delusional; they almost seemed real.

Some say he's a top gang member and is undercover so the police don't catch him— the fault in that is he makes too much trouble for it to go unseen.

The most popular and newest would be that he is a drug dealer. This was triggered from the small tattoo on the back of his neck.

Most didn't know he went to the school counsellor for his "anger issues." Actually, nobody knew- nobody except me, but I am a nobody, so still, nobody knew.

The only reason I did know was because I had an appointment after Soren's, the last one of the day: 4:30pm every Wednesday.

Though, today was different. He was sitting calmly on the couch outside her office, arms crossed and earbuds in. His eyes were closed, and his face was neutral.

I jumped when Soren's eyes snapped opened and stared straight into mine; he raised an eyebrow.

"Hey, could I sit there?" I pointed to the spot next to him; there was only one couch and I didn't plan on standing for half an hour.

Soren pulled out an earbud, "What?"

Clearing my throat, I spoke again, "I said—" I licked my lips, "is that seat taken?" 

Soren looked like he was trying murder me with his gaze before answering stiffly, "Yes."

I watched in amazement as he, putting his earbud back in, zoned me out of his life and left me to stand awkwardly alone.

There was a shout before sobs from Amanda Daisy's office. Whoever was in there wasn't coming out for a long time.

Bucking up my courage, I placed my bag on the ground and sat next to Soren, who didn't move, who seemed dead.

I didn't own a phone; I didn't have the money for it. Indeed, my brain decided it was good time to do something that kids didn't do much these days.

"SOOOOOO!!" I said slapping my hands on my thighs— Oh gawd, what the hell was that Jay? Am I sweating?...wait, don't sniff yourself; that'd be weird.

I turned to look at Soren reluctantly but, to my surprise, he hadn't moved.

"How loud is your music?" I whispered under my breath.

"It's not music. I'm just ignoring you." Soren stated bluntly, eyes closed still unmoving.

We sat in silence before I had the guts to say something, "So you're not listening to music?"

"Obviously not if I'm responding to you," Soren hissed through a clenched jaw. Another whaling noise came from the counsellor's office.

I laughed, "So you are listening to music?"

Soren suddenly sat up straight and turned his head towards me in the same movement. I gulped nervously, realising how much I loved the shape of my nose.

"Can't you shut the fuck up?" Soren swore into my face before standing up, "Tell her I'm not coming today."

I just sat and watched him as he got up and left without another word. That was the first time I ever had a conversation with Soren if you could even call it that.

"Jay? Was Soren here?" Amanda peered through the crack in the door, "This session will be over time. We can talk tomorrow if you want?"

"Yeah, he was here. Just left actually and no it's fine." I heaved my bag over my shoulder, "See you next Wednesday."

She called after me, "Jay, are you okay?
Really?"

I smiled at her, "Perfect."

-

I hope you like this chapter everyone. I know there's mistakes (feel free to point them out) but I hope it's a good book anyways!

A M A Z I NG F A N A R T
By GlueEater

 A M A Z I NG   F A N A R T   By GlueEater