5. willingly drowning

S O R E N

S O R E N

My throat felt like sandpaper and my eyes were puffy. My body was cold and I was drenched in sweat.

"I failed?" A hoarse voice that didn't sound like mine escaped my lips. Eyes still closed I felt my wrist, recognising the feel of a drip stuck, "I don't remember..."

Opening my eyes I looked around painfully and noticed with surprise there were people in the room. Red sat on the floor his head resting against the one seater couch, Jay sat curled up in the chair.

I watched her sleep for a moment, her face slack as her knees were brought up to her chin. It wasn't until my eyes drifted slowly to Red was when I realised he was awake.

I watched him stand up and walk towards me. I closed my eyes knowing I was too weak to fight, too dead. But no slap came. Instead I felt him engulf me in his arms.

"You stupid idiot." He huffed next to my head as he pulled away.

"You didn't tell mom did you?" I asked, feeling quite uncomfortable with how mushy he was being, probably because Jay was here.

He shook his head and ran his hand through his hair, "She doesn't need the stress of worrying."

That'd be right, wouldn't want to stress her with her own sons health.

In annoyance I looked away from Red and made eye contact with Jay before spitting, "What you doing here?"

Red whacked me around the ear softly scolding me, "Be nice, she saved your life."

"Fuck off." I spat before I started to cough and everything went dizzy. All I wanted to do was vomit up everything that I'd ever consumed.

A man dressed in a white lab coat walked in on me swearing my head off. He coughed once and everyone turned to look at him.

He walked up to me and and stood next to Red, "Young man, you consumed over five different drugs. Do you recall taking these?"

"No," I lied.

"Well Sir, our tests are correct. All these drugs were illegal which concludes you or your guardian having a fine of $6,000, loss of driver's license, and luckily for you, not jail because you're underage." He finished with a raised eyebrow and strong stance, "You'll be in here for another day kid."

I closed my eyes as Red talked to the doctor before they both exited to talk in private.

I knew Jay was looming over me but I didn't want to open my eyes, I didn't want to see her disappointed look. Then, her presence was gone and my phone lay next to me. She'd left.