Chapter Seventeen: How'd that Happen?

~ I chime in with a haven't you people ever heard of closing the goddamn door ~

Chapter Seventeen: How'd that Happen?

"Max..." I slowly began. Max looked down at me, kissing his forehead.

"Don't get cold feet on me now, baby," he smiled assuringly, squeezing my hand. "Don't worry so much, Simmy. My family's gonna love you."

I sighed heavily, nodding slowly as Max guided me out of our terminal. We'd just landed in New York; I was literally minutes away from meeting his mother, and terrified was an understatement. Max stopped me on our way out, guiding me over to the side, out of the way, and set his hands on my shoulders.

"Hey..." he spoke, looking at me gently. "I promise you, everything's gonna be fine. My mother and I are practically the same person, which means she'll adore you, just like I do... My dad just wants to see me happy, and quite frankly, I'm the happiest I've ever been. No one else even matters, little dove."

I slowly nodded, frowning quietly. Max kissed my cheek, cupping my jaw sweetly. He smiled lovingly, offering me soft comfort as as took my hand again, pulling me back into the swell of people. I could tell my boyfriend was beyond excited to see his family, making me smile sweetly as his facial features began melting into those of a boy's. He pulled me out to the lobby, standing on his toes and looking for his mom.

She found him first, waving her arm big for him to see. Max's face broke out into the biggest grin, making me let out a small laugh as I let go of his hand, gesturing for him to go hug her. He smiled and dropped his backpack by my feet, kissing my cheek, before running to his mom. I grabbed his backpack and threw it over the shoulder mine wasn't on, watching him reach her and wrap her up in a big hug. His mom had to go up on her tip toes to reach him, and he still had to stoop a little bit, and it was definitely one of the cutest things I'd ever seen. I chuckled as I gave them a moment or two, before making my way towards them, seeing him pull away and begin talking to her avidly.

"Oh," Max spoke, watching me walk to him. He took his backpack, sliding it over his shoulders. "I'd have come back for that, baby. You didn't have to get it."

I shrugged a little, kissing his shoulder in response. Max gave me a smile, a reassuring one, letting me take his arm as he looked back at his mother. "Mom," he began. "This is Symphony..." Max spoke, running his fingers up my arm. "My girlfriend."

I smiled at her as she pulled me from Max, hugging me tightly. "Oh, I've heard so much about you!" she laughed, making me grin. "You're his little dove, aren't you?"

I blushed, nodding as she pulled back, placing her hands on my cheeks. "And so beautiful!" she gushed. "Max has outdone himself!"

Max laughed a little, almost nervously, putting his hand on my shoulder and pulling me back a little. "Easy, Mom," he said. "Let the girl breathe."

His mom let out a small chuckle, putting her hand on my other shoulder. "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Schneider," I spoke. Max's mom laughed, smiling a bright smile.

"Oh, darling," she said. "Call me Charlotte, or Momma Schneider. Something that doesn't make me seem so old."

I laughed and nodded, letting Max take my hand again. "Well c'mon!" his mother said. "Let's get your bags and get home! I'm sure you're both tired."

Max and I nodded, noticing it was dark outside. The flight wasn't long, but Max and I had purposely gotten a later flight, so we could go back to his parents place and the jetlag not mess with our sleep schedule. Max and I followed his mom, and I stayed relatively quiet as they talked. My boyfriend was content; it made me happy to see him like that.