THE BURN

After Binnie the cattle-rearer left for her own village nineteen miles away, Uncle Somi called Lei out to him, as he sat on his old man's rocking chair, smoking his old man's hookah.

'Turn around girl,' he told Lei, and as she did he took her ear and bent it inwards to examine the space that lay hidden under it.

'Ah!' he murmured, breathed in a mouthful of hookah and choked on it.

'Go ahead, go away,' he said and pushed Lei away, then said again, 'Wait girl, do you want something?'

'Sir?' Lei asked, absolutely confused.

'Take this money and get yourself what you will from the supermarket,' Uncle Somi said.

'Yes sir,' Lei said, taking the money in a trance. As she turned around she saw Cousin Nidhi standing meekly behind the lemon tree that stood some distance off.

'May Cousin Nidhi,' Lei said softly then loudly, 'come along?'

'Go ahead,' Uncle Somi coughed, looking away, 'Don't trouble her Nidhi.'

Cousin Nidhi nodded her head and jumped to Lei's side, 'What was the ghost like?' she asked Lei, 'Was he pretty and manly?'

'What books are you reading these days?' Lei laughed and asked, 'How can anyone be both pretty and manly?'

Cousin Nidhi scrunched her nose- 'I talked to Binnie; she said he was pretty and manly.'

'Really?' Lei asked, her interest spiked- she never got to see the ghost herself, 'What else did she say?'

'She said he wore a white robe and put the mud on fire,' Nidhi said, 'I would like to believe in it; did you not see him?'

'Of course I did,' Lei said, 'He was big, scary and had big nails and ugly teeth.'

'You know,' Nidhi said, rolling her eyes, 'I am your age, and not an idiot.'

'Oh,' Lei awkwardly said- she had never really talked with Nidhi before, 'Sorry.'

'No,' Nidhi said, after a moment of silence, 'I am sorry- I did all those mean things to you! I am ashamed of myself, but I was afraid of Aniket and father- I'm sorry I could never be friendly with you.'

Lei knew that this wasn't true; she knew that Cousin Nidhi was lying and had always hated her. She knew that she was the one who always planned the pranks and plots against her; she knew that she was saying all these things only because she was afraid that what had happened to Cousin Neel might happen to her too.

'You know,' Lei joked, as she picked up her pace of walking, 'the ghost mentioned you once. Just once.'

Cousin Nidhi widened her eyes and ran to catch up with Lei, 'What?' she asked, 'What did he say?'

'He said that he didn't like liars,' Lei said with all seriousness.

'I'm sorry, I'm sorry,' Cousin Nidhi said taking Lei's hand, 'It is true that I don't like you Lei! You act so pitiful and meek all the time- it's annoying!' She was weeping now, 'Oh heavens! What am I saying? I...the ghost won't hurt me will he?'

'No,' Lei said, hurt to her core by Nidhi's words, 'he won't- I made him promise.'

'Oh thank you!' Cousin Nidhi cried, 'thank you, thank you!' she said and ran away back home- leaving Lei all alone.

You act so pitiful and meek all the time- it's annoying! The voice didn't stop ringing in her head.

'Weak and pitiful huh?' Lei said to herself as she continued to walk, 'I bet that's what you think too huh Nero?'

Nero?

Why did she take that name?

'Lei!' Lei turned around and saw cousin Nidhi running towards her, 'I...I think I'll come after all.'

'Yeah!' Lei grinned and then checked herself, 'that would be nice, I mean.'

Nidhi smiled hesitantly, 'Umm,' she began.

'Yes?' Lei asked.

'May I see the mark?' Nidhi said, 'At the back of your ear?'

'Go ahead,' Lei said and tilted her head towards Cousin Nidhi.

'What is it?' Lei asked excitedly, 'Is it a cross, a chalice or a big mole?' she laughed.

'No,' Nidhi said, frowning in confusion, 'It's a name.'

'A name?' Lei said as they started to walk, 'Want to tell me what it is?' Lei asked, although she already knew the answer.

NERO.