14. virus

Virus (noun): an infective agent that typically consists of a nucleic acid molecule in a protein coat, is too small to be seen by light microscopy, and is able to multiply only within the living cells of a host.

Bellamy

We moved slowly and carefully through the smokey remains of the exodus ship, silence covering us like a thick blanket of despair.

There were no survivors.

"Clarke shouldn't be out here." Finn's worried voice broke the silence.

"Her mom was on the ship. She's looking for answers. You wanna help her? Find me the black box, hard drives, anything that will explain why they crashed." Raven retorted.

"Stay sharp! Grounder retaliation for what happened on the bridge is coming. It's just a matter of when." I called out to the rest of the people milling around the ruins.

"You blame them?" Finn asked snarkily.

"No, I blame you." I replied.

"Maybe if you didn't bring guns-" Finn started but Raven cut him off.

"If we didn't bring guns, we all would have been killed." She told him.

"Why they're coming doesn't matter anymore, it's our job to be ready when they do. We're on our own now." I finished the conversation.

We continued to search the rubble for anything that could be salvaged but everything was just a blackened mess.

"Clarke, stop!" Raven cried out, capturing my attention.

She ran over to where Clarke was. Finn and I moved with her.

"Rocket fuel?" Clarke asked.

"Hydrozine. Highly unstable in it's non-solid form. If this stuff meets fire, we're all pink mist." She told her, crouching down to check it out.

Dipping a rock into the foul-smelling liquid, she stood up sharply.

"Fire in the hole!" She yelled and launched the rock into a still-burning fire.

The fire exploded upwards, writhing like a living breathing thing, I watched on, stunned.

"We need to clear the area." Raven informed me.

"Okay then, We move in formation, no straggling, weapons hot! We've got to get back before dark!" I called out to the rest of the people.

Everyone moved swiftly into formation, except for Clarke. We were ready to go but she was still staring hollowly at the ruins.

I moved over to her and put my hand on her shoulder, squeezing tightly.

Trying to tell her that she's not alone

~~~

We had barely been in the camp for five minutes when the news hit me.

Murphy was back.

I marched into the Dropship, filled with outrage

"Where is he?" I growled.

The people parted like the red sea, revealing Murphy. He was almost unrecognizable, covered in dirt, blood and open wounds. I could smell him from here and honestly he smelt like death.

"Everyone but Conner and Derek, out." I ordered.

As everyone filtered out, I let my eyes flicker to Luna for just a moment. She was chained to one of the Dropship walls, her eyes were firmly locked onto Murphy, filled with the same burning hatred that I felt.