Chapter 3 : Trouble, Trouble.

"There is nothing more inspiring than the complexity and beauty of the Human Heart."
- Hallowed, By Cynthia Hand.

Prince Sebastian wasn't really a fan of awkward silences, and that was exactly what was happening to him since almost the last 15 minutes that the King of Larcbost had summoned him to his room.

The King simply said nothing, sitting on his throne and staring down at the Prince. And it was misbehaviour of course, if he spoke before the King. So he waited, running his hand through his hair nervously, biting down on his lip, and waited until the King at last spoke.

"What did you say to Princess Adela last night?" It was still so clear that the King was, perhaps, very angry at what happened last night at the ball.

Well, he figured she hadn't lied about both of them ending up dead if they followed her plans.

"I'm afraid," He said carefully, "I didn't say anything intentionally that might have offended the Princess, Your Majesty."

"Cut it out, Prince." The King snarled, and Prince Sebastian reflexively took a step back.

"You were supposed to win her over." He went on, "Why are you even being so stubborn? Isn't the Princess beautiful enough?"

"Beauty isn't everything!" He heard himself say, and was quite surprised with himself too, "I don't even know her, and we have merely been introduced last night! How can you expect me to spend my whole life with a woman who is a stranger to me?"

The King stared at him like he could just throttle him right there. Even if Prince Sebastian had gone too far, he didn't care, because he had made himself clear at least. Even if now the King was looking at him like the Prince was just breathing the last of his breaths.

"So, I see you've turned quite rebellious." The King said with dead calm, "Do you realize that you are the heir to the Kingdom? That one day, you would be seated here, where I am right now?" He paused then, running his eyes over him dangerously.

"Do you plan to give this Kingdom no queen at all," The King said quietly, "Or are you fantasizing falling in love with a Princess, and then it would all be flying unicorns and gardens of roses?"

He didn't leave the King's gaze, as he said, steadily and clearly, "I don't want anyone else to decide how I have to live my life."

There was no hint of hurt in the King's eyes, only cold, raw rage. The King looked away from him.

"I want you gone, Prince Sebastian." He said, and without another word, Sebastian stormed out of the room.

"Adela." Edgar said, but Adela pretended like she hadn't heard him, and kept her eyes on the book in her hands.

"Princess Adela Elizabeth Ashburnum." Edgar said again, and something in his voice made her look up from the book at her brother's face, who was now sitting on the edge of her bed.

"What?" Adela frowned, closing the book and putting it beside her. Just in case she felt like hitting him on the head with it.