Chapter 6A

Waking up the next day was like a huge reality check. The dream that I had last night felt like a slap in the face that I needed in real life. It was Alex and I, 5 years from now, happy as ever. We had gone out to a fancy restaurant, then to a hometown show they were playing. Dream Jen didn't look stressed out constantly worrying if dating her friend was a bad decision. I needed to give Alex a true chance, because if I'm being quite honest, I adored the feeling I had with him on our date and I wanted more of that. No more holding back.

I decided to send him a text:

Hi. Sorry about yesterday...Wanna talk?

And to my surprise, he texted back a few minutes later:

I'm a block away from your place at the park with Peyton. Meet me there?

I responded that I would be there shortly, and began the walk to the park. When I arrived I saw him playing fetch with his dog Peyton, something he always loved to do. Peyton noticed me as I got closer to them and ran for me, his tongue sticking out happily as I pet his head.

Alex walked towards me, I didn't expect him to say anything. And I definitely didn't expect for him to grab me in a huge bear hug, but he did.

"I'm sorry" he whispered.

"Why are you apologizing? I'm the one who made things hard for us. I'm the one who's sorry." I said honestly.

We pulled apart from our hug, and I grabbed Peyton's tennis ball from his hand, throwing it for him to chase and bring back.

"I think you should know that I had a huge reality check this morning" I stared at my feet as I spoke.

"What about?"

"Us." I glanced at Alex to see that he was already looking at me. "Look, since you know me so well already, this should be new information to you but, you know that i'm just not a 'relationship person'. Remember all my failed dates and boyfriends in high school and college? I always manage to screw it up somehow."

"Do you remember Josh?"

"My prom date? Um, yeah I remember him, why?" I asked curiously.

Peyton brought back the ball, and Alex threw it for him again. He shrugged, "that guy was such an idiot. He would brag about being with you to his friends but never treated you right. It was hard not to straight up telling you to not go out with him."

"Yeah, he was just another bad decision as a teenager I guess" I let out a laugh. "And don't even get me started on your prom date Michelle."

"Hey, she was cute what was wrong with her?" he asked, a hint of real curiosity in his voice.

"She was a ditz! And she would just go around to everyone in her class bragging about how she sucked your dick in her parents car."

He shuddered at the memory, "Ugh, I remember that. She used her teeth, it was awful. I don't know why I still took her to prom after that."

We both shared a laugh as Peyton returned the ball and waited for Alex to throw it again. "I guess we both have had our share of bad relationships and dates" I said and continued laughing at the memories we had brought back up.

"Don't you think it's time we have our share of a great relationship?" he questioned me.

I smiled at him, "you know what Alex, I think we do need that. With each other."

His eyes grew wide, his mouth slightly opening, "really?" Hints of disbelief were heard in his voice.

I grabbed his hand, "Alex, you're one of my best friends, but the feeling I had that night with you incredible. It's amazing how a best friend that I've known forever, who knows everything about me, could make me feel that kind of way."

He squeezed my hand, "We could take it slow, you know. I know this has been scary for you."

I let myself curl into his chest as he held onto me. "This is why you're so great. Thanks Alex."

"So does that mean I take you out on another date?"

I looked up at him and nodded happily, "of course."

"Great, cause I've got a good idea in mind for us." He planted a kiss on the top of my head. I smiled and removed myself from his grip to go play with Peyton.