- intro to a new life -

ELENORA LOOKED DOWN at the selections of multicolored pencils, pens, folders, binders; the whole works

And the she looked back up at Bucky.

You could blame it on Steve, really, he insisted that Elenora went back to school shopping as soon as possible, and then was called in last minute to attend to some issues at SHIELD, which left Bucky with his daughter.

"Alright," Bucky began, reading off the list, "get pencils, and pens. Twelve of each." Elenora compiled, and picked up the packages. "You know what- take the damn list. I can't read all of this." The girl smiled and took the sheet of paper. "And get the best stuff, colorful too. God knows you're gonna need a lot of color if you're gonna be with Parker in school." Elenora stifled a laugh, and began searching throughout the mountains of supplies.

Approximately five minutes later, Elenora tapped on Bucky's shoulder, who had been cross legged on the floor. "You done?" he questioned, glancing down at the girl's basket, which was covered with purple pencils, binders, folders, and pens. "Is that your favorite color?" Elenora nodded and blushed furiously.

"Yeah, could you tell?" Bucky laughed and stood up, walking on her right side. "Where are we going now?"

"Well, I really want something to eat," Bucky admitted, "and you should probably eat around now anyway."

"O-Okay."

***

"First day of school tomorrow, nervous, yeah?"

Elenora nodded at Bucky, her hair wet and sporting pajamas. "Kinda scared, too." Bucky nodded, and took a bite out of the chicken he had cooked for dinner. "Where is Steve?"

"He's at SHIELD still," Bucky said dully.

"Does it happen often?"

"Yeah."

Elenora nodded, and gathered some nerve. "Bucky?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you braid my hair?" Elenora asked shyly. Bucky smiled and put down his plate.

"Of course," he nodded, motioning for her to get closer to him. "Hair ties?" Elenora nodded and took them off her wrists, handing it to Bucky. "I had little sisters," Bucky told her. "My mom used to have me do this for them."

"Were you the oldest sibling?" Elenora questioned innocently.

"Yeah, I had to help out with a lot of stuff. My dad wasn't around much, and I had took up a part time job, I mean, there were five kids, that's more than one's pay could handle." Elenora nodded. "Then I was drafted, and, and, I came back the christmas before it happened with all these gifts, you should have seen their faces light up. I had gotten my mother a new dress, and my sister, Rebecca this necklace- it had a heart with this ruby, and her eyes lit up I swear-"