Chapter Five

Five

I grabbed Nash's hand reluctantly, but what could I do? I wanted to live a normal life, but I was a saviour for these people. I couldn't just leave them to fend for themselves. And Nash's words had actually made my confidence with my original choice waver.

One moment, we were in the forest, and then the next, we were in some place's hallway. When Nash let go of my hand, I stumbled a bit.

"How-" I started to ask, but Nash cut me off.

"You get used to it," he replied. "Now, c'mon. We gotta go see Ashton."

"Why?" I questioned, following Nash down dark gray hallways. "Is he, like, the leader or something?"

"Yes, exactly that," Nash answered. "His great-great-great-great-a lot more greats Grandpa was the creator of the Powers."

"Oh." I nodded as we turned down a hallway. "Hey, why aren't there any people?"

"There are," Nash explained, "they're just in classes right now."

I smiled. Yay! School!

I just I was way different than normal people: in more ways than one. It had never actually occurred to me until now.

Nash led me to a door painted a dark shade of blue. He knocked three times; Ashton's voice from inside called, "Come in!"

Nash opened the door and gestured for me to go on in. I slowly entered the room, looking around shyly.

There was a desk in the middle of the room, where Ashton sat. A huge window was mounted upon the wall behind him. On the desk was a computer, which he was on currently, and a enormous stack of papers.

Ashton looked up from the screen, and when he spotted me, his eyes widened.

"Oh," he said, hurriedly shoving his papers in a drawer on the desk. "You agreed to come?"

I shrugged.

Ashton turned to Nash, who stood in the doorframe. "How'd you convince her?"

"I just talked to her," Nash said honestly.

Ashton looked at me. "Are you joining the Powers?"

"I don't really have a choice, do I?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Nope," Nash said. "You're here now, and I'm not taking you back."

"I can always walk," I suggested.

"You don't know where we are," he retorted.

"True," I said thoughtfully. "Hey, where are we?"

Nash stuck out his tongue. "Nice try, Calypso."

I made a face. "I'd prefer if you called me Callie."

"Sorry, but I like Calypso better." He laughed and then left before I could say anything.

"So," Ashton said. "You want to join the Powers?"

"No," I said bluntly, "but I'd feel bad if I just left you guys to your doom."

Ashton smiled and gestured to a chair in the corner. "Pull up a seat."

I dragged the chair to the desk, and then sat down, slumping in my seat.

"So, what's the whole story behind the Powers"" I asked. If I was staying here as one of them, I might as well learn as much about them as I could.

"Well, long ago, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-"

"Okay, I get it. There's a lot of greats. Continue."