Chapter 53

"That's why I'm calling, Lauren. They've just got in touch with me... I'm afraid Alejando died about ten minutes ago..."

She didn't say anything, her mind racing like crazy at the gravity of Sinu's words. Alejandro Cabello, dead... Jesus!

"Lauren, are you still there?"

"I'm here, Sinu," she said softly, "please accept my condolences."

"Thank you, Lauren. I appreciate that."

"Would you like me to tell Camila?" she asked, knowing that was why she was calling.

"No, Lauren, but I'm afraid I may have to. I'd prefer to tell her myself, but she doesn't deserve to hear this like I did; not over the phone. It was bad enough that I heard it that way,"

"I'll do it, Sinu" she said sadly, "I know Camila and Alejandro weren't that close, but..."

"...but this will be hard on her, Lauren. I want you to know that. She spent most of her life searching for her dad's approval..."

"I understand, Sinu" she said as her voice tailed off, "it's all right. Does Sofi know?"

"She does, she's with me now. We're on the way to the hospital, we're just waiting for the chopper to pick us up,"

"Is that where you'd like me to take Camila? To the hospital?"

"I think that's the best thing to do, Lauren. I think we all need to say goodbye. I'm really sorry to ask this of you, Lauren. I know it's a huge burden to place on your shoulders."

"It's fine, Sinu, don't fret about it," she told her, trying to take at least that worry from the woman. After all, it's not as if she's unaccustomed to delivering bad news to people she loves.

"No, Lauren, it's really not fine. I should be doing this myself I know; but I am glad you're there and I'm glad that Camila will hear this face to face from someone that cares for her. Look after my daughter for me, will you please? I'll see you as soon as I can."

"I will, Sinu, take care... if there's anything I can do please let me know."

"You are already doing more than I should ask of you Lauren, thank you again."

Sinu hung up on her after that. There was nothing else for them to say, nothing more that needed to be said. She had to admire the strength the woman was demonstrating, thinking of her family above all things. She only hoped that Camila had inherited that same strength; she would probably need it.

She looked down at her phone thoughtfully. She needed to let Camila know, needed to interrupt this meeting in as diplomatic a manner as she could. Duty said that she needed to let Dinah or Normani know about Alejandro's death, but honor said that Camila was her priority.

She put the phone into her pocket with a sigh and prepared herself for what was to come. With a deep breath, she knocked on the door to the conference room and twisted the handle.

All eyes were upon her as she stepped into the room. In an ideal world, this would have been done discretely. However, she had to break this party up right now.

"Excuse me, Miss Cabello. I need a moment of your time," she said formally, "I'm afraid it's urgent."

"We're nearly finished here, Miss Jauregui," Camila replied, not looking happy at her interruption. "Can't it wait?"

She shook her head, "Ms. Hansen has an urgent call for you from one of our contacts in Baghdad. I'm afraid she's calling on a satellite phone and this is the only time she can do. It is quite important you speak to her, ma'am, I wouldn't have interrupted otherwise."