Chapter 2

It was 7:54 am. I was standing in the gym and I was alone. Granted, I was a few minutes early, but usually, at least a few of the Avengers are here for our 8 o'clock training session early too. Something was going on.

Pietro had left early this morning with Wanda. It was almost the anniversary of their parent's deaths, and they wanted to spend some time alone. I had sworn to give them as much privacy as possible, even though Pietro had insisted it wasn't necessary. This was something that was between them, and I respected that.

Besides, ever since the Battle of Sokovia, Wanda and Pietro have been spending less time together than they were used to, and I had a feeling I was the cause. It's not that Wanda didn't like me and wouldn't hang out with us occasionally, but I think she still feels responsible for what happened between us in the Hydra base, so she seems to avoid me most of the time. So, I resolved to give them all the time they needed together. For now, I was on my own.

I teleported to Steve, who should've already been in the training room, hoping for an answer from him on the Avengers' absences. He was in the control room, where about twenty agents were clicking away at their computers, monitoring potential threats. Steve was leaned over the shoulder of a woman named Renee. I had never actually talked to her, but I'd passed her several times in the hall, and I'd read her file. But, to be fair, I've read everyone's file. Call me paranoid, but after HYDRA hurt me, I was going to do everything in my power to make sure that double agents were a thing of the past.

Steve and Renee both jumped as I appeared next to them in a fury of blue light. Steve regained his composure quickly, and let his head fall in front of him with a sigh.

"How many times have I told you not to sneak up on me like that, Em?" Steve asked under his breath.

"Sorry." I mumbled. "Sorry, Renee." The woman looked taken aback by the use of her name. I felt heat rise to my cheeks. I guess it's not normal to use someone's name when you've never actually been introduced. I already had the reputation of being a stalker and eavesdropper because of my powers. I really didn't need to help play into that.

I cleared my throat and continued, turning back to Steve. "Why aren't you dressed? Training starts in five minutes. Doesn't it look bad for our fearless leader to be late?"

Steve wrinkled his eyebrows together. "Didn't I tell you? I gave everyone the day off."

I huffed out my chest. "I haven't talked to you outside of training for about three weeks, Steve. When exactly did you think you told me about that?"

Steve had been busy lately, but that wasn't the only reason we hadn't talked in a few weeks. Shortly after the Battle of Sokovia, Steve came to me, asking if I could track down Bucky for him. I knew Bucky didn't want to be found. Steve himself knew that, but he didn't want to listen to reason, so I lied. I told him that I couldn't track him because I had never met him. Both of those were lies. I could find someone by just knowing their name if I really wanted to. And, I had met Bucky once. When I first got my powers, I had accidentally teleported to him, and talked with him briefly. Our conversation, on top of everything else, was enough to convince me that it was for the best if Bucky was able to stay hidden for a little bit longer.

But, as my powers developed, Steve started to doubt my lie, and asked me again and again to find Bucky. Finally, a few weeks ago, I told him the truth. I told him that I could find him, but I wouldn't, for his sake. I knew too well what it felt like to lose yourself, quite literally, and I couldn't even imagine what he felt like, being forced to do so many terrible things over the years.

No, I wouldn't help Steve find Bucky until Bucky was ready, and when he was, I wouldn't need to help.

Still, Steve was blinded when it came to his best friend, and to him, it didn't really matter if I was right or wrong.