3.2

August 4th, 2016 - Numbnut

Fog coated the mirror, preventing me from viewing my reflection. I knew how I must look; hair darkened by the shower water, exhausted from the lack of makeup on my face, and most likely shiny as all fuck. I hadn't even thought to bring anything more than a change of clothes into the bathroom with me. The shoulders of my shirt sported two damp stains from my freshly washed hair, evidence that I didn't dry myself off well enough. I fingered combed through the tangled locks and shook it twice in an attempt to get the sexy-messy style.

In case you were wondering, that's definitely not what it turned out to be. 

I walked out of the bathroom door looking like a dog that just ran through the neighbor's sprinklers, but Luke still stared at me like I was all of the stars in the sky. He whistled and patted the spot next to him on the mattress, scooting over slightly so I could lay down. My head rested beside his as we both remained on our backs, staring at his white drywall ceiling. 

I sighed, recalling my dilemma from just moments before. I'd done a lot of thinking, as I tend to do in the shower, and came to the realization that my previous emotions were nearly forgotten. In the heat of the moment, I forgot all of the reasons why I was frustrated with him. "Luke, we really need to talk."

"About?"

I sat up so I could watch him; I've found that people's nonverbal reactions say more than their words ever could. He mirrored my acts, folding his legs beneath him to mimic my stance. Luke's hand found mine and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"About how you've kind of been avoiding me for weeks, starting with that day I wanted to Skype you, all the way to the driver at the airport."

Luke pursed his lips and gently rubbed his thumb across the back of my hand. He kept eye contact, occasionally glancing over my shoulder as if he were looking for the answer on the posters scattering the walls behind me. "Teni, the driver was just so I wouldn't get mobbed by fans or paparazzi at the airport. Trust me, I wanted to be there, but my family and I agreed it wasn't the best option for me to pick you up myself."

I nodded, taking my hand from his grasp to gather my hair to one side.

"That day in July was a rocky one and I'm sorry if I came off as harsh or rude," he continued. "My manager was being a mega jackass and I was a little broody. It wasn't about you, though. I promise."

I furrowed my eyebrows and tilted my head to one side, opening my mouth once to speak but closing it immediately after so I could fully think through my words. "I just - I would like you to be able to talk to me after rocky days instead of shutting me out for the next two weeks."

Luke rocked back and forth, continuing to purse his lips to either side. "I'm really sorry, Ten."

"Why have you been looking so sick?" I blurted, unable to keep the thought to myself. "You've been pale and you've been coughing. I am worried about you."

This time, Luke laughed a little, but his eyes seemed nervous. "It was a cold, numbnut. Guys on tour said I'd just been working too hard without enough time to rest. But it's okay now, just look at me! Only been off tour for three days and I'm radiating beauty."

He lurched forward to wrap his arms around my waist before falling back, pulling me on top of him. I squealed, totally unable to fight his movements. Within seconds, we had gone from a serious conversation to a playful wrestling match, which Luke won in the first try. I lay my head on his chest and my right leg over his left one. He kept his grip on me but raised one arm to play with my soaking wet hair.

"It's alright now," he whispered in my ear. "I've got all the time in the world to rest with you."

* * *

@teni_nicole tweeted: australian showers are the best showers

* * *

yes that happened no it's NOT OVEr

y'all aint ready y'all aint ready y'all aint ready

you've still got like six more chapters til the good stuff, but there's lots of goodies in each chapter ;)

talk to me about your day!! i slept and got in trouble and walked aimlessly around my school's office

have a super duper day/night numbnut