Can't Pretend [Vikklan]

Author's Notes: Apologies for the lack of updates, I've been so bloody busy these last couple of weeks. I am working through the requests you guys have given me but here is a quick One Shot I wrote in class, based on the song 'Can't Pretend' by Tom Odell (you should totally check it out if you haven't already, its beautiful)

Word Count: 2330

~✖~

Vikram Barn had always loved stars. When he was young, he used to sit in his window, watching them wink and sparkle at him. Vik forgot about everything while he sat looking at the stars. The nasty comments he received on his videos evaporated while he watched the stars. Vik watched them until his mum would come into his room and scold him for staying up so late.

He supposed it way his way of escaping reality.

Love, I have wounds,

Only you can mend,

You can mend oh oh oh.

At twenty years old, Vik had more trouble escaping. His uploading schedule was so vigorous, he struggled to find time to eat and sleep, yet alone have time to escape with his thoughts. This particular night Vik, try as he might, couldn't sleep. He turned over in his bed and sighed. He could only think of one thing that would reassure him.

Vik quietly climbed out of his bed and walked softly downstairs, towards the front door. He opened the door, crept out of the Sidemen house, and started to make his down the street.

I guess that's love,

I can't pretend,

I can't pretend, oh oh oh.

Vik made his way slowly along the quiet road he had walked down countless times before, illuminated by several fizzing street lights. It was a good place to walk; it was easy to get lost in the scenery and clear his mind.

He eventually found himself by the lake, staring into its semi-frozen beauty. He knew he'd be safe there; no one would bother looking here. It was his special place. 

Feel, my skin is rough,

But it can be cleansed,

It can be cleansed, oh oh oh.

Letting a small smile grace his features, Vik went to the edge of the lake and looked upwards. There, brightening slightly as if happy to see him, were millions of dazzling stars. 

It was silent for quite a while, but Vik liked it that way.

He sat, staring at the sky, so lost in his own thoughts that he didn't hear the approach of another person.

And my arms are tough,

But they can be bent,

They can be bent,

And I wanna fight,

But I can't contend.

"Hey, I'm Lachlan," an unfamiliar voice said gently.

Vik whirled around, ignoring his head spinning at such a quick movement. His eyebrows were raised in confusion, yet curiosity. "Hello..." he replied, uncertain. He had never seen this boy in his life. "I'm Vik."

And with that, Lachlan sat on the edge of the water beside Vik, about three feet away. They exchanged no more words, just sat there breathing in the cool air and watching the stars twinkle.

I guess that's love,

I can't pretend,

I can't pretend, oh oh ooh-oh,