Career prospects

Ithel

I immensely enjoyed the light flirting between Ceri and me. And it didn't stop even after the four of us gathered to eat the meal that Ceri caught. Or thought he caught... The important thing is that he was very happy. So much so that the Leader's repeated suggestions for me to leave didn't bother me anymore. I just ignored him. I even forgot about his nagging because he was being very nice with Ceri and he even complimented him a few times.

Ironically, Alev told Cailyn straight and clear that he didn't need to stay, and yet the Leader chose to pretend like Alev wasn't chasing him away. And in respect to Alev, I tried to remain silent and make myself scarce. After all, I needed him to accept me as his son's......... we'll call it 'friend' for now.

"This was a very good meal indeed, young Aello. You are the first to feed your Leader this fast after joining our clan. You did well" Cailyn said, making Ceri smile from ear to ear.

"Thank you, Leader."

"You can feed yourself on your own now. That is essential for your Prueba"

Both Alev and I frowned. It was odd that Cailyn brought up this subject, and I didn't like Ceri being reminded of it. It was a great source of worry to him, and I thought the Leader would know better.

"I... I know I need to go through my Prueba soon. I promise I will not take long to learn and become a strong independent man. Aello Alev and I spoke about this and we have a plan. A good one"

"You already made a step further today, young Aello"

"Yes, Leader. I can catch preys now. So all I need to do is learn how to hunt. Alev and I will sail to another island and he will teach me how to hunt tigers!!"

"Good, good" the Leader added.

Alev kept his calm appearance as he commented. "One day at a time, Ceri"

Cailyn didn't seem to understand that Alev would rather we changed the subject or stopped talking altogether.

"You know," Cailyn spoke again, "there's something I'm certain you'll like even better than hunting tigers."

"What is it?"

"Watching them"

"Watching tigers... with baby cubs feeding with their mother or playing around their den. I want to do that! I want to go watch tigers!! Can we sail soon? Please"

Ceri was pleading at Alev with his eyes. Alev seemed uncomfortable, he threw him a "Finish your meal" before he turned to glare at Cailyn. And the latter looked back at a remaining piece of ham and occupied himself with it. Ceri bit into his food as well. His cheeks were round and full when he turned to the Leader, his eyes glancing my way a couple of times as he spoke.

"I will become a good Aello. I will present you with a tiger that I hunted myself and I'll make you proud of me, I promise"

Alev seemed about to say something to Cailyn, not anything nice I supposed. I didn't want them to argue in front of Ceri, so I spoke before he had the chance to do so.

"You already are a great Aello, Ceri, and we are very proud of you. You have nothing to prove. Remember what we agreed on yesterday? You will learn everything you want and Alev will assist you all the way. Just learn at your own pace and enjoy your life. Remember that?"

Ceri stared at me in appreciation and he nodded. He is such a polite and cute Aella, how could anyone send him on a Prueba? Just look at him! He is so adorably obedient.

A heavy silence settled in after that. There was some tension that Ceri didn't seem to notice as he ate some more. And apparently, the Leader ignored said tension, because after a while, he indirectly approached the awful subject once more.