Nineteen: A Declaration of War

Taya's PoV 

Finally, the day had come for us to show off our skills. The tournament was due to start any time now, and we were all finishing our preparations. Mainly that meant putting on our gym uniforms.
I sighed as I zipped up my top. "I still don't get why we couldn't wear our costumes. I mean, wouldn't it be easier to stand out if we did?" I ask.
"They're disallowed so as to even the playing field," Ojiro answers.
"Oh," I sigh again. I plop myself down on a bench behind me and lean my head against the wall. When I hear someone sit next to me, I look over to see Eijirou and I smile. He rests his hand on my knee and smiles back.
"You okay?" He asks.
"Yeah, I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for this. There's gonna be a whole lot of people watching us and it's kinda nerve-racking," I explain.
"You'll be okay and don't forget I'm here too," He says nudging my shoulder. "Is your mom going to come?"
I shrug. "I dunno, but knowing her she may just randomly show up. We like to say she's retired, but she likes to say otherwise. I won't be surprised if she tries to show up and act like a hero again," I say with a light laugh. 
"I could see that happening," He says smiling. I look up to see Hakai with her hand on Bakugou's shoulder and he was okay with it.

"Eijirou, look at them," I whisper nodding toward the two.
"They've gotten pretty close, huh?" He asks. I nod again.
"Yeah. I never thought he could be calm around anyone, but he seems fine like that."
"I wouldn't be surprised if something's going on," Eijirou says, draping his arm around my back and squeezing my shoulder. I scoot a bit closer to him and nod. I watch Hakai puff out her cheeks and march away from the blond and seating herself next to Todoroki.

'Well, that was short-lived.'
Eijirou and I look at each other before laughing.

Midoriya then walks into the room and Hakai's chat buddy leaves to confront him.
"Midoriya." He says stoically.
"What is it Todoroki?" The green-haired boy asks.
"On an objective basis, I think I'm above you in terms of practical strength." Midoriya looks stunned by Todoroki's words.
"Wha?! Ah, uh, yeah..."
"You've managed to get All Might's eyes on you, right? I feel no need to pry into that, but... I'm going to beat you," Todoroki says bluntly, still with a straight face.
"What?!" Everyone gasps at his declaration.
'What's with everyone and declaring war against each other?!'

"Oho?! What's this? A declaration of war from the strongest kid in class?" Kaminari asks over his shoulder. Eijirou stands up and walks over to Todoroki, placing a hand on his shoulder.
"What's with the belligerence all of a sudden?" He asks. "Don't spring this on him right before-" Todoroki shoves Eijirou's hand off. I stand up as well and walk toward them.
"I'm not here to play nice and make friends," Todoroki says, seeming slightly angered.
"I have no idea what exactly it is you want from me..." Midoriya says with clenched fists. "You're definitely stronger than me. I think the vast majority of Yuuei students here are no match for you. Even so!! Everyone- even kids from other departments are aiming for the top with all their might. I can't let myself fall behind. So I'm going to go for it with all my might too!" He says confidently.

Everyone stayed silent after their declarations. I touch Eijirou's arm and he looks down at me, taking my hand and squeezing it.
"Time to go!" Iida says stepping into the room. Todoroki turns his back and leaves the room first and everyone else hesitantly follows, Midoriya falling behind everyone else.

"First out, the class I know you all came here to see, Class 1-A!" The announcer shouts. We were currently in a tunnel leading out to the main part of the auditorium. All the classes were lined up in order, so as Class 1A, we were sent out first. As soon as we stepped out of the dark tunnel, the light blinded the class and huge amounts of cheering could be heard. The stadium was filled to the brim with fans, heros, and children. Everyone in the stadium was cheering for the class that had bested the villains a few weeks back.

Out of reflex, I take a step toward Eijirou to calm my anxieties of being stared at. So many people were here watching, it almost made me dizzy. Eijirou reaches down and squeezes my hand gently and I take a deep breath, trying to take it all in.
The time to show our powers off is here.

Our time to shine is now.