Lee & the Fatherly Advice

"Dad?"

I glanced up from my phone to see Theodore standing in the kitchen. "What's up?"

He cleared his throat, and I could tell something was bothering him.

I placed my phone down, locking the screen. "What's up, kid?"

Theodore bit down on his bottom lip, taking in a deep breath. "I know you're on your lunch break, and you're leaving for work again soon, but..." He trailed off, clearing his throat.

I'd recognize Anxiety anywhere.

"You can ask me whatever you'd like to," I said, my eyes boring into his. "I'm on your side."

He nodded, clearing his throat. "Can you hang around for just a little longer? So we can talk?"

That was never good. "Sure."

"Not now!" he quickly added. "Just like... in a bit."

"Whenever you're ready."

He left the kitchen, and I texted Naomi, letting her know that I was dealing with a Theodore-related situation, so I wouldn't be back in the office for a bit.

Naomi and I had been taking turns in trying to work out what was going through Theodore's head.

Did the weed smoking bother me? Not so much.

Did his attitude and state of mind bother me? More than anything.

I'd been in dark places. Hell, most of the time I lived in the darkness.

And I didn't want that for my son.

I finished off my sandwich before heading into the living room, where Theodore was sitting on the couch, his hands clasped tightly together in his lap

I eased down next to him, reaching for the TV remote. "Want to watch a movie?"

He glanced over at me in confusion. "You hate movies."

"I don't hate movies," I said, with a slight laugh. "I just get antsy, is all."

Theodore nodded. "Yeah, okay."

I let him pick the movie, and he settled on the old Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movie.

Per usual, it was hard for me to get into the plot, as my mind was constantly reeling.