Chapter 8

I SPENT THE REST OF THE EVENING working on the history essay, trying to occupy my thoughts with something else other than the ghost and Ezra. Despite my effort to block them out from my mind, they somehow wriggled their way, causing me a splitting headache.

I was subconsciously extremely alert. The sound of a water droplet hitting the sink in the kitchen downstairs was enough to send shivers through my spine. I constantly kept on thinking that the black figure was right behind me and was ready to jump on me. My ears would perk up at the slightest noise. Even the silence was humming a monotonous deathly tone in my head.

Even if Ezra had explained things to me. I still found it difficult to believe him. Who in the world wore leather jackets, dealt with druggies and carried a huge bible around? He was just so complicated. He stood out like an ink spill on a clean sheet of paper and yet he blended in like gravel on a stony path. I didn't trust him, not yet.

I was drooling over my history textbook until a loud bang was heard. I woke up startled and was convinced that the black figure had finally bashed my head into pieces. My breath was temporarily caught in my chest. I touched my forehead and then moved my fingers along my whole scalp. No pain. No sticky red substance.

"Get out of my way, bitch," A masculine voice shouted, scaring the shit out of me. I finally let out a breath on realising that the noise had come from outside and not by some revengeful deadbeat soul. However I moved to my window and peeped out.

There stood a very angry and drunk looking Jack Fenton, the school bully as well as a professional tattoo artist, threatening to hurl a bone crunching punch over the bitch. I looked more closely and with the guidance of the faint street light, I recognised the silhouette of the person he was referring to as the 'bitch'. Scarlett James, my fourteen year old sister. Wait! She wasn't alone. Behind her was a shrieking and shivering Esther. How interesting!

"You little piece of shit! Thought you could escape from me?" Jack said, his words slurred. I realised he was referring to Esther who wrapped her arms more tightly around her vigorously shaking body.

"Get lost!" Scarlett defended. How brave of her! Fighting a very drunk, furious six foot five drunkard by herself for her best friend. I raised my eyebrows amused at the scene before me.

"Listen to me stick board, you can't stand between the bitch and me. I will grind you," Jack hissed dangerously low.

"I want to see you do that," Scarlett grimaced while grabbing the collar of Esther who was attempting to run. I pitied poor Esther. Jack ignored Scarlett as if she was a mere fly and that seemed to infuriate her even more.

"Running to your best friend for help. Did you think that I won't find you? Wait till I take you home. I am gonna..." He shouted as his hands tried to snatch the currently crying Esther. Unfortunately, he was blocked by the stick board.

"Who are you to say that, you bastard?" Scarlett accused.

"I am her bloody boyfriend," He replied weakly. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Not anymore. She broke up with you long ago. You can't abuse her again," She shouted, standing as a barrier between the couple. Blood pumped into Jack's pierced face, an indication of his bursting fury. Esther gulped loudly, though Scarlett was least bothered by it.

"Scar, let's go," Esther mumbled softly.

"No. Not until we settle this," Scarlett declared, pumping her fists to empower her words. I rolled my eyes at her ridiculous display of courage. The drunkard chuckled at the stick board's silliness.