63|| Rook to E3

63|| Rook to E3

"But he's there! Potter's there! Someone grab him!" a girl from Slytherin screeches, notably worse than anything Tom's ever heard and prompting him to scrunch his nose in distaste. From her appearance (he agrees with the 'pug-like' judgement from Hermione), Tom notes this girl to be none other than Pansy Parkinson, horribly similar to her relative who was two years below him in school.

  From her appearance (he agrees with the 'pug-like' judgement from Hermione), Tom notes this girl to be none other than Pansy Parkinson, horribly similar to her relative who was two years below him in school

But it's not a time for recollection on his part or anyone else's, Slytherins tempted to curse Harry Potter while the others are shocked silent by Voldemort's occupation of their minds. So as brilliant as he is and notably calm in the most surprising of situations, Tom is the first to step forward in defense of Harry, putting his taller form in front of the Boy Who Lived without a second of hesitation, loyal to their cause. And though there are few who know his true identity, some gasps resound at the previous Dark Lord's defense of his intended enemy...none more than Hermione Granger herself.

"He is speaking lies. Any creature who wishes to avoid death would not attack a castle of youth," Tom's voice resounds, sending shivers up the spines of many Slytherins and Gryffindors alike, silence frosting them like a muggle cake. But the shivers--varying with diversity--all revolve around the likeness and power of this voice in comparison to Voldemort's, so very similar but not conclusive to the cause.

But then, in a smart and brave move that overcomes her greatest fear, Ginny steps beside Tom Riddle in defense of Harry, her wand drawn unlike the lacking possession of Tom Riddle. And yet, she knows he does not need one to create chaos. Behind them, the Gryffindors line-up in defense of the Boy Who Lived, so strong as individuals and impenetrable as a united House. They form a shield around Harry Potter, too many to count and so potent in the moment.

But Harry Potter's resounding motion is not limited to House lines, the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws also clinging like a shield to the Boy Who Lived, leaving only the Slytherins to an attack they surely cannot win. Next to Tom, Hermione and Ron line themselves up in front of Harry, her hand squeezing Tom's wrist in anxious pleasure at what he's done...the bet he made for his loyalty, and the rewards it now harvests.

Behind them, Harry Potter is particularly affected by the actions of these diverse persons, none more than Tom Riddle's first defense of him against his own house and ideology. It becomes clear in that moment that Tom Riddle is no longer a sole devotee to Hermione, but to their mission, to defeating his own self. Harry can no longer label the Heir of Slytherin to be an ally, but a great friend, one who will defeat Voldemort if Harry does not.

But again, timing is subtly everything, the caretaker of Hogwarts bursting through the doors of the Great Hall like Quirrell did during their First Year. And in the wake, his hoarse voice screams, "Students out of bed! Students in the corridors!"

  And in the wake, his hoarse voice screams, "Students out of bed!  Students in the corridors!"