14: i have to go

"Horror followed by relief in Bucharest today where Russian assassin, the Winter Soldier, was taken into the custody of the German government. Along with the assassin previously known as Sergent James Barnes, fugitives Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson, otherwise known as Avengers Captain America and Falcon, were brought in with the company of the new king of Wakanda. The prior two resisting and refusing to sign the Sokovia Accords, a document that would put the Avengers under strict government regulation. NBC4 will keep you updated on events as they follow."

Laura turned to me with a cautious look as the weatherman took over. "Don't do it."

I didn't respond. I jumped up from the couch and ran up the stairs and into my room. She followed, restating herself.

"Maisie, please. It's not safe." Her calm tone had no impact on me as I stripped and pulled on my uniform.

"I have to go."

"No, you don't!" She tried to keep my boots from me by standing in front of them. I reached behind her and grabbed them anyway.

"I have to go." I mumbled again, buckling my holster belt and clipping on another holster. "I have to go."

"Maisie!" She yelled, pushing Lila away so she wouldn't see me. "Maisie, they'll be fine."

I stopped for a second, trying to breathe through a panic attack. My lungs felt smaller and smaller with each passing second. "You can say that because your husband isn't in trouble. Mine is. Bucky has no control over himself, not in situations like this. The man is putty after a few words from an old book. I'm going. I have to go."

"You'll get caught. They'll kill you." She tried to level with me as I laced my boots.

"Then I'll die fighting."

"Bucky wouldn't want you to do this."

"Bucky is a suicidal, bipolar man, and I don't care what he wants right now." I pulled on my cape and loaded magazines into my Glock.

"This is selfish, Maisie. Please." Laura grabbed at my arm before I yanked it away and ran back down the stairs. "I'm worried about Clint, too!"

"Then I'll be selfish." I stopped at the banister, looking at her. "And you don't have to be. He's an upright American man with no documented criminal record. I'm married to an assassin who's been on the run for almost two years now. I have a little more to take care of than you right now."

"Fine." She said, lips pursed, still standing at the top of the stairs. "So you go to Berlin. You find where they are. Then what's your plan?"

"I already know where they are. Let Amygdala loose, snap the necks of a few government balloons, and be on my way." I kissed Cooper and Nathanial on the head and went through the back door, in pursuit of the copter behind the barn. She didn't follow, just watched me from the door, her eyebrows knit together. I turned around for a second to yell an apology, and ran the rest of the way. I have to go.

_____

Eight hours later and I'm walking through Berlin, looking as stupid as I did in Cleveland. I nevertheless kept my hood up and kept my phone out, looking like a goth tourist looking at directions. Technically I was a emo soldier . . . looking at directions. You touch down in the middle of Nowhere, Germany and try to find a government facility when you have no map.

I begin to sweat and breathe heavy, wondering if I'm too late. A lot can happen in eight hours. People can be killed in seconds, things can be negotiated and signed in minutes. I could go from not only being a fugitive, but a widow in a blink. I had to pretend I trusted Steve. I didn't trust Steve.